VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently August 24th, 2019, 8:05 am
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 25th, 2013, 4:47 pm 
Rather than make random separate posts, I'll just add to this one.

I got today a very interesting survey from Apple. I don't think I have ever received such a survey. It purported to be for my MBA I got earlier this year, but it was way, way more than that. The longest section was one that walked presented 4 options for laptops and asked which I would get if I had to pick one. I swear I went through at least a dozen of those.

It looks like they may be considering an ultralight, 1.5 lb model.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2013, 7:03 pm 
Was reading up on the new no-contract and upgrade plans that are being rolled out. It reminded me that I really need to get my wife to upgrade her phone. She's off contract now, but of course her rates remained the same. So she's actually paying as if she got a new phone with a another 2-year contract, even though she didn't get a phone. I guess you could say she's paying a fee not to be on contract, but the reality is that she isn't going to change providers anyway.

I've been a very longtime AT&T customer, but I am beginning to wonder about changing to Verizon. I can't think of any place I've been where I can get AT&T but not Verizon, but lots of places where the reverse is true.

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: August 1st, 2013, 11:20 pm 
In general Verizon has more national coverage. the question is do you really ever travel to at&t dead zones?
I travel pretty much all of Ohio and parts of Indiana and Verizon is the only one with nearly 100% coverage in Ohio. At&T pretty much only covers the major roadways (highways)

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2013, 11:31 pm 
There are AT&T deadzones all over the place, but I notice them in Vegas more because I go back to the same places. At Wynn it's really bad, pretty much all of the places I frequent have large deadspots except Verizon.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 6:41 pm 
rog wrote:
There are AT&T deadzones all over the place, but I notice them in Vegas more because I go back to the same places. At Wynn it's really bad, pretty much all of the places I frequent have large deadspots except Verizon.

The coverage maps don't take into consideration what the interiors of buildings do to cell signals. When Aria opened, AT&T and Verizon coverage was very spotty or non-existent and it took them several months after the property opened to get that sorted. My guess is that Wynn hasn't made any deals to boost cell coverage on the property by having microcells installed on the property. I was previously with Simple Mobile, which uses T-Mobile's GSM network and the one of the few spots I can recall having no service in Vegas was at the back of Caesars by Bacchanal Buffet (When I stayed at Caesars in December 2011, I was still with Virgin Mobile, which uses Sprint's CDMA network and had awful coverage inside of Caesars as well as several other hotels on The Strip and Downtown. I'm now with T-Mobile and my Z10 is a 4G LTE device and in the areas of Atlanta in which there is 4G LTE coverage (They turned it on about 6 weeks ago and are in the process of filling in the gaps as they are refarming the Metro PCS LTE cells to run on T-Mobile to fill in 4G LTE gaps. I get five bars of 4G at the house, as the tower is pretty close by, but they've not upgraded it to LTE yet.). Vegas was one of the first markets they rolled out 4G LTE (refarming spectrum acquired in the breakup of the merger with AT&T) and the majority of the Strip and Downtown is shown to have excellent coverage and is 4G LTE coverage.

There are very few dead zones where I drive for work. The biggest dead spot I come across is at my office, including parts of the parking lot, as based on T-Mobile's coverage map, coverage is "satisfactory". I may get lucky and still have 4G coverage, but usually I end up with EDGE (maybe 2-3 bars) or no coverage. It's not just T-Mobile either. The owner of the company as well as a few other family members that work there are on AT&T and got tired of the spotty service on their phones that they got a microcell in the office. Our other route guy is also on T-Mobile but has an older phone that is able to get somewhat reliable service inside of the building (Which has a lot of metal in it and that seems to play a role in the crummy signal.).

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 7:22 pm 
T- mobile is what I use in Vegas, mainly because they have a good paygo service that means I can keep the same number. The whole ground floor of PH is a dead zone for t-mobile, and it is spotty in other areas too.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 7:29 pm 
pebbles1 wrote:
T- mobile is what I use in Vegas, mainly because they have a good paygo service that means I can keep the same number. The whole ground floor of PH is a dead zone for t-mobile, and it is spotty in other areas too.

It might be your phone, as last October I was at Planet Hollywood and didn't have any coverage issues there. At the time I was using Simple Mobile, which uses T-Mobile's network.

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 10:02 pm 
Yeah if the phone has a crappy antenna... you'll get crappy service or none.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 3rd, 2013, 2:56 am 
That poor coverage was with two different phones. A HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy 3

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 3rd, 2013, 2:30 pm 
Those phones should have been ok Pebs, I think it's a Tmobile issue. In my experience tmobile has the strangest service of the four, it can just be oddly spotty. With Sprint is seems like you're on, or off.

I have devices with all the carriers, so when one doesn't work I try another.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 3rd, 2013, 2:32 pm 
This was part of the survey that I took, I had to laugh at what a nerd I obviously am:

Post Posted: August 3rd, 2013, 5:52 pm 
well you have me beat.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 4th, 2013, 8:46 pm 
Me too, but not by much if you combine mine and Tony's stuff. (All mine really.)

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 6th, 2013, 3:57 pm 
I was reading an article about Marissa Mayer and Yahoo yesterday. It mentioned how Yahoo is now making a big push to mobile. I found it interesting because Yahoo's news aggregator recently became my go-to for news on my phone. I am not quite sure how I found out about it, but they seem to be making some inroads. However, the ads I see scattered among the news items are not for anything I would get, so they still have some work to do.......

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 9th, 2013, 5:04 pm 
One thing I noticed this past week on my laptops was how terrible they are at handling streaming video through web browsers. I don't know why it takes so much processing power, the fan inevitably goes on high. Tablets, on the other hand, and phones as well, handle streaming very well even though they have wimpy processors by comparison. Kind of annoying, but it does give another reason to buy a tablet even if you already have a lightweight laptop.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 9th, 2013, 8:21 pm 
I agree with that. My iPad copes with videos better than my netbook and laptop. It is also slightly better than the fire.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 18th, 2013, 8:32 pm 
Well, I guess that's it for Blackberry. Amazing how they could fall so far so fast. It took me a while to give mine up and get an iPhone, but once I did, I had a feeling they were in trouble. I came to quickly appreciate the apps and the ability to have one device that could also sync my music and videos. I recall BB put up a bounty for apps, but that seemed to miss the point for me. I wanted the same apps I already was using, and that requires convincing the big boys to port their apps, not independent developers.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 19th, 2013, 5:12 am 
BB10 was definitely make or break for BlackBerry and while it hasn't set the world ablaze, it hasn't convinced folks to switch back and some current BB users aren't willing to go all touchscreen yet. The last generation Bolds are still pretty new (The 9900 came out two years ago.) and folks are holding off on upgrading. I like my Z10 and the lack of apps is not an issue for me, as some of the big name apps can be sideloaded (I have older builds of the Android version of Netflix, Instagram sideloaded on my Z10.) and with the 10.2 OS upgrade that's coming up, pretty much any current Android app will be capable of being sideloaded as the Android Player gets upgraded to one of the Jellybean 4.2 builds. The Android Player may be why app developers aren't jumping onboard BB10. There are apps that some companies have versions for older BB devices, but don't plan on a BB10 version. Netflix has a version of their app for Windows Phones, but not for BB10 (Both platforms are fighting for the #3 spot n the market).

BlackBerry has brought out another BB7 device, which seems odd. It's going to be sold in the same markets in which their "entry level" BB10 device, the Q5 is sold. In addition, the price point in most markets is about $50 cheaper than the Q5 and $20-30 cheaper than the Nexus 4. This is phone that should have gone to market LAST YEAR.

BlackBerry lost the plot years ago when they didn't take the iPhone seriously. It's easy to do that when you're the company that was the smartphone at that time (Palm tried to, but we all know what happened to them....) and they put out some pretty mediocre products on the market when they should have been developing phones along the lines of the Z10 and Q10. By the time they got to doing so, they were made irrelevant. I've been a BlackBerry user for three years and have upgraded devices every 18 months and from the way it looks, my Z10 is my last BlackBerry device. About the only reasons I see for anyone to buy the company is for their patent portfolio, their subsidiaries (QNX, TAT, etc.). Whoever buys them may put the BB10 OS into new devices, but I doubt it. In a few years when I decide to upgrade my phone, I'll likely make the move over to Apple.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 19th, 2013, 4:09 pm 
If Android apps can be sideloaded on BB10, why doesn't BB just go all out and give full and proper access to the Android market? That would eliminate the app issue and give them some time to make another run at things.

I think it's funny to think of them and Win8 gunning for the #3 spot given how little market share they both have.....

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Main Street Station/TheCal

Post Posted: August 20th, 2013, 12:55 am 
On Crackberry - - My Curve from like 200+something is still pounding out. I had the white screen of death whereas the ATT gonzos said "you can upgrade to the Iphone 9.5" (Yeah exxxagerrating on 9.5) but I DO NOT LIKE THE DAMN Iphone. I want keys. I want keys.

After searching the 'net I found how to fix said white screen of death; Vespa probably knows what I mean; and it IRKS me to no end that the saleszombies at ATT know nada on how to fix it; rather just sell that damn Iphone.

I hope Lenovo buys em and keeps something of what I have come to like; or I am going back to a damn drum.

Jump to: