VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 3:00 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » The Watering Hole

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

Site Admin

Post Posted: April 4th, 2011, 9:59 pm 
As the title says, post all your movie reviews here.
I hope you give it more than a :thumbup: or a :thumbdown: .

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 6th, 2011, 5:34 pm 
Excellent. What I plan on doing is posting a capsule review here, then a link to a blog (eventually) with a more in depth look at why I hate a film because of some minute details nobody else seems to care about.

And, of course, Brian and I can do a little of this.... :cussingargument:

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 6th, 2011, 6:12 pm 
The best thing about Suckerpunch was the Asian girl, the worst thing about Suckerpunch was that they kept the Asian girl in vehicles most of the time where you couldn't see her legs in those kung-fu stripper outfits.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 23rd, 2011, 7:30 pm 
I'd like to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams in a theater but I doubt it will be released here. I find it interesting that they shot this in 3D, though it will be a very limited release. I like Werner Herzog stuff, he does a lot of documentaries then pops up with an occasional fiction piece like Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call....or something with crazy Klaus Kinski.

The doc is about the Chauvet caves of Southern France, where the oldest known drawings by man still exist. Very, very rare to see inside due to even breath causing deterioration of the drawings. Maybe the last time cameras are allowed in.

I was listening to Herzog on NPR and he mentioned something I had never heard before. He said that we have a dominant eye that sees in 2D, while our other eye sees in 3D. When you watch a 3D movie, it bothers some people, because it forces your brain to see in 3D for a prolonged period of time...

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 24th, 2011, 3:16 am 
He's right about our eyes. One eye provides much more then 50% of vision. Personally, I think 3d movies annoy many people (me included) because the glasses are cheaply made crap that get tossed around and warped by sitting in that giant "recycle" bin, and if they aren't perfectly aligned with the screen they tend to screw up the image.

I had not heard of that movie, though. I may have to check it out...

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 25th, 2011, 12:37 pm 
are either of you going to see Dylan Dog, Dead of Night? I like a couple of the actors in it, I was considering seeing it....

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 25th, 2011, 11:31 pm 
Alora wrote:
are either of you going to see Dylan Dog, Dead of Night? I like a couple of the actors in it, I was considering seeing it....

You know, I just don't see anything in the trailer that makes me want to see it. Brandon Routh is sort of a bland actor to me. My guess is it's a one week and done movie.

Thor will probably be my next movie, though I think I'm going to try and go to a cheap movie every Tues for the next couple weeks.....so I guess if I go tomorrow it's either Limitless or Insidious......though, there's always Madea.. :beavisbutthead:

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 26th, 2011, 3:21 pm 
Alora wrote:

I hadn't even heard of it til now...

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 2nd, 2011, 11:47 pm 
Fast 5:
Basically the same as the first 4 movies, but with The Rock dripping sweat through the whole film. I mean, seriously, the dude always looked like he'd just climbed out of a swimming pool.

Good looking women, lots of fast cars, lots of gunfire, and no script to get in the way. Two guys in the audience fell asleep during the show, and I don't blame them at all...

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 3rd, 2011, 3:54 pm 
I thought about going to see Fast 5, then I figured hell, if I wanna see a movie where someone can fly, I'll wait for the next Superman movie.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2011, 10:32 pm 
PRIEST

Finally, my first review for the new board.

Went in with tempered expectations. Not a bad movie. Art direction is very good in the city, but falls off a bit once they set out for the wastelands.

Set in an alternate universe/reality....begins with an animated telling of history, where it is explained that there has always been man, and always been vampires. Man is being decimated until the Priests, humans with special power trained by the church, are able to turn the tide against the vampires. (by the way, the vampires are not human vampires, they are creatures that walk on all fours and have no eyes). When the war ends, the remaining vampires are sent to detention camps, while man is safely locked behind giant walled cities. When the main character's "niece" is grabbed by the vamps, he goes against the church (Priests have been disbanded and are basically societal outcasts) and sets out to save her before she becomes infected.

If you watch Firefly, you will get that vibe in this movie with the mix of old west and sci fi. But I wish someone could explain to me why someone would have a victrola... :scratchheadblue:

I like Paul Bettany. Funny how I could never see him in the role of Aragorn in LOTR, a part he had, then lost. But now he seems to have taken up the action movie gauntlet with Legion and now Priest. Also like Karl Urban, but he doesn't have much to do in his role as the only human vampire. The guy who plays Bill in True Blood is (ironically?) killed by the vampires.

The effects are good, good sense of scale, CGI was par for the course. I would not recommend seeing it in 3D, it is too dark for much of the movie for that process.

Suspension of disbelief is required for this type of movie, and the Priests are shown to have some of the sort of powers you would see in a Kung Fu movie. Jumping up about 15 feet, using rocks thrown in the air to step on and run through the air......but jumping off a moving object going 200 mph with nary a scratch is pushing it. But, I can see how the script writer really had no choice but to make that a non event.

Decent sci fi action movie. I'll give it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: out of five.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2011, 10:36 pm 
Oh, and saw a trailer for the Straw Dogs remake. Alora will be excited to learn that Eric is in it and it appears he might have his shirt off at some point.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2011, 11:30 pm 
Thor

I was thrilled to FINALLY see a superhero movie where the plot didn't end with someone the hero trusted turning themselves into a more-powerful-then-the-hero villain and them duking it out for 20 minutes.

In fact, as far as this recent string of superhero movies goes, this might be the most original script of any of them. It wasn't the best movie, but a non-cookie-cutter script has to be given credit these days.

Chris Hemsworth was downright charming as Thor, and actually played the part quite well... he was almost as fit to this role as Robert Downey Jr. was for Tony Stark... and I swear my wife almost served me with divorce papers in one scene where Thor walks in wearing no shirt and low-rise jeans. I guess she likes that tall, strong, handsome type. ;-)

Worthy of special mention is whatever Hollywood surgeon did Natalie Portman's personality-implants. I guess in all that work she did to learn how to be a ballerina she also learned how to act like a human! Compared to her Arnold-in-Terminator robotic performances in other movies I've seen, this was a flash of brilliance from her.

And, of course, stick around til after the credits, as with most Marvel movies.

All in all, this was basically a 90 minute trailer for The Avengers, and it was a good one.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2011, 11:49 pm 
Good! I want to see it.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 14th, 2011, 7:28 pm 
brian wrote:
Thor
Worthy of special mention is whatever Hollywood surgeon did Natalie Portman's personality-implants. I guess in all that work she did to learn how to be a ballerina she also learned how to act like a human! Compared to her Arnold-in-Terminator robotic performances in other movies I've seen, this was a flash of brilliance from her.

Have you ever seen Where the Heart Is? It's an Uber Chick film......and yet, I watch it whenever it comes on. Portman is very ingratiating in that film. According to IMDB, it was released between Menace and Clones. So I blame Lucas and his God awful scripts for her leaden performance in all 3 of the prequels.

Did you see Thor in 3D? If so, what was your take on it, skip it? I plan to see it digital but not 3D. Will probably go that route more in the future and leave 3D for films shot in 3D.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 14th, 2011, 11:55 pm 
I saw it in Digital 2d. I don't like 3d films for the most part.

And don't overestimate how much damage Lucas could do with a bad script. Remember, he's a horrible director and editor as well!

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 15th, 2011, 12:42 am 
Zombie, yes, I am hoping to see Skarsgaard in that movie hehe

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 15th, 2011, 1:27 am 
oh yes, and for the record, I'd seen Portman in V For Vendetta as well. Very wooden, but then now that I think about it, the Matrix brothers aren't exactly known for inspiring great acting performances either. ;-)

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 18th, 2011, 5:19 pm 
Bridesmaids.

The funniest movie I've seeen in many years. Kristen Wiigs is hilarious, the whole cast is hilarious. Tears of laughter running down the face many times, yeah, it's a thumbs up from me. Watch the scene after the credits roll. Apataw at his best. The large gal is married in life to that guy. It made it even funnier. Loved this movie.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 18th, 2011, 11:55 pm 
Not a Kristin Wiig fan, but I still want to see it..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

Jump to: