VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently July 24th, 2019, 3:15 am
Board index » Non Vegas Section » The Watering Hole

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 6th, 2013, 2:19 pm 
rog wrote:

I have no plans to see Ironman 3 in the theater, except that I was somewhat intrigued by a comment I read somewhere that Gwyneth gets to do some ass kicking?

Well, it's SORT of Gwyneth doing the ass kicking, sort of.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 16th, 2013, 3:54 am 
BLACK HOLE and FORBIDDEN PLANET

Wow, I thought my older kids would like these two. But they are pretty dark and serious. They are PG but even today's PG-13 crap is lame by comparison. Food for thought.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 16th, 2013, 4:13 am 
The original Forbidden Planet was sorta a futuristic film noir. I delved into the human psyche and the power of the id. Meant to scare, but also meant to give some food for thought. The original Black Hole with Maximilian Schell and Tony Perkins wasn't all fluff either.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 18th, 2013, 6:47 pm 
historian wrote:
The original Forbidden Planet was sorta a futuristic film noir. I delved into the human psyche and the power of the id. Meant to scare, but also meant to give some food for thought. The original Black Hole with Maximilian Schell and Tony Perkins wasn't all fluff either.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 23rd, 2013, 9:48 am 
World War Z.

Absolutely loved it. I chewed a nail off and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Jordan was with me, he said it was not close to the book, but loved it anyway. So, if you haven't read the book, don't worry. Go see it.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 23rd, 2013, 5:41 pm 
Saw Man of Steel today. I know some people don't like it, but I did. I liked spending more time on Krypton, and however crazy Russell Crowe is, he is one fine actor and I loved watching him.

They also did a good job of aging Diane Lane, although it looks as though they did something with her teeth...weird...

Overall, very entertaining, although not at all what I expected. If you are a Superman fan, go see it just to see how they've changed it.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 3rd, 2013, 3:18 pm 
The Heat: A giggle fest for the ladies. I heart Sandra and Melissa. Go with your girlfriends. No romance in a chick flick is refreshing to say the least.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 3rd, 2013, 3:22 pm 
Alora wrote:
World War Z.

Absolutely loved it. I chewed a nail off and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Jordan was with me, he said it was not close to the book, but loved it anyway. So, if you haven't read the book, don't worry. Go see it.

I have to admit I'm intrigued, no matter it's not reality based, Brad is in it. Is it a movie that will lose something watching at home on HD? I don't like being in a theatre with kids.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 14th, 2013, 7:28 pm 
Rosie, there were not many kids in the theater when we saw it. Kate refuses to go, because of the whole zombie factor. It's been out long enough you shouldn't have that problem. Brad elevates the movie, IMO, because you CARE about what happens to him and his family. It's not just another "Oh my god, they are going to eat us!" movie.

Saw Pacific Rim today. Not sure what to tell you.... giant man made robots...trying to save the earth....not much character development. Special effects were pretty cool but....I'm still not sure what I watched, LOL. I was entertained, though, I can tell you that.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Mirage

Post Posted: July 17th, 2013, 10:42 pm 
We liked Lone Ranger (quite a few modern references). Hated Pacific Rim. Loved Despicable Me. Loved Superman (Man of Steel)

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 1:03 am 
Took the boys to Pacific Rim. Good, except for two things. It was to long, but I always complain about that. But also, WTF with all the close-up battle scenes?!!?!?!? It's all CGI after all, can't you zoom out a bit? I really hate the in-the-action trend that started a decade ago or so. I want to see what's going on.

It's a reason I love movies like Matrix Reloaded and 300. They are zoomed out, and you can really see the action.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 4th, 2013, 10:25 pm 
I saw Del Toro talking about Pacific Rim and one thing he mentioned that I didn't really even absorb, but is totally true and GREAT about the movie: he didn't do any of those fake ass, HEY LOOK CGI ZZZOOOM VRRROOOM soaring camera pans that could never happen in real life, you know where the camera goes through and around and over and under.... He said he based his angles on okay, this camera is in a boat, this one is in a helicopter....one hindsite, I like the film more. It was what it set out to be.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 5th, 2013, 9:51 am 
We saw R.I.P.D.

If you are a Jeff Bridges fan, you will like it. This is his movie, IMO. I thought it was an entertaining little flick. I like Ryan Reynolds, so I was game to see it. Mary Louise Parker is good, too.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 14th, 2013, 7:42 am 
We saw Elysium.

Well. It was interesting. I thought Matt Damon did an amazing job, Jodie Foster was weirdly stilted, but then, she is supposed to be an aristocratic snob so maybe that's why. I still love her.

I think the concept of this movie was good, the effects were really cool, especially the shots of Elysium from Earth. A little violent, though.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 24th, 2013, 3:47 am 
2 Guns
From a few weeks ago. Pretty good movie. Too long like most, but not just a formula, it is worth a cheap tix or a rental.

Strike Back Season 3
Remains a very good series for guys. Though my assistant at work likes it too, I wonder why..........

Magic City
Eh, not sure about this season other than a couple of really excellent, excellent butts.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 11th, 2013, 10:52 pm 
Has anyone seen $%^&*? I might go to see it just as a matter of principle. From what I have read, he was purposely gunning for an R rating, which is quite a 180 from the usual watering down for a PG-13. I feel a moral obligation to support this movie.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 12th, 2013, 5:51 pm 
I haven't seen it, but I know my son has seen it. Since he is at school and not communicating with home base regularly, I have no idea if he liked it.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 20th, 2013, 2:14 am 
So I have been doing a bit of traveling and fit a few things in on the plane.......

Olympus Has Fallen
Good popcorn flick, though a bit too long like a lot of movies. Having been past the White House on my way to my favorite pizza place, I have to say I have thought of the problem of similar entry scenarios, they just have a couple of SUVs out there........

Star Trek Into Darkness
Took a couple of my kids to see this in the theater, but on seeing it again, I still thought it was quite good. I hope they keep it up, I have liked both of the new gen movies.

Iron Man 3
Holy $%^&* what a POS. Anxiety attacks?!?!?! Dorky malfunctions?!!?? WTF, its a superhero movie. I am surprised RBJr agreed to this lame script. And, sorry but Jon Favreau's fatness was seriously distracting. I guess I just think of him like he was in Swingers. At first I even thought it was intentionally fake and he was pretending, just to catch a bad guy. Sheesh.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Treasure Island - Golden Nugget

Post Posted: October 22nd, 2013, 11:54 pm 
Totally agree with your Star Trek and Iron Man reviews. I winder if they will bring some of the other original series movies into the new storyline Khan was a great villain again. Maybe they will travel back in time to save whales1

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 8th, 2013, 7:44 pm 
World War Z

Saw it on the plane last night. As before, I listened to my music instead of the movie, so I did not hear any dialogue. I FF'd until they got to the aircraft carrier, wasn't too interested in the usual intro-type of stuff. From there, I was quite pleasantly surprised. I found it engaging and even though I am not a Brad Pitt fan, I thought he did a nice job. I also really liked the Jewish soldier character. Not sure why, she wasn't a hottie or anything, she was just an interesting character. Not sure if she was in the book or if they just grafted her on, but I liked the interaction with her and Brad Pitt, and I liked how they initially made me think she might turn into one of them. I also thought from the ads that Pitt would be some sort of soldier, I recall him carrying a machine gun in the ads. But I don't think he ever used any gun other than a handgun in the movie.

Two questions, which maybe were answered but I don't know since I didn't listen: (1) how long do the zombies live? (2) why didn't they just send over the military to the WHO?

One huge LOL moment for me was when the huge cargo plane took off from the aircraft carrier. Duh!!!!! :icon_rolleyes:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: