VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently January 15th, 2019, 11:28 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » The Watering Hole

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: February 19th, 2013, 5:44 pm 
rog wrote:
SHAMELESS

Season 2 is ongoing right now. I guess it's ok, but season 1 was better. This season they are trying a bit too hard to pound things in. I don't need them to expressly say (in actual words, twice) that the poor have no good money making options, I can figure out that message myself.

Have you had a chance to see the UK version? I think you'd like it if you can understand the accents.
I think we can get away with a bit more than you guys can over there.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 25th, 2013, 4:57 am 
Warm Bodies

Major freaking drive-a-truck-through plot holes, but it was a cute movie. Personally, I liked AAAH! Zombies! better.

Also saw a preview of World War Z. This looks like a really good remake of Will Smith's "I Am Legend", but the person who decided to rename it World War Z has pretty clearly never read the book.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 27th, 2013, 8:36 am 
Yeah, Warm Bodies was a mess, but a cute mess.

Have you read World War Z? My kids had to read it for English in middle school. They liked the book and they are really looking forward to the movie. They're just hoping it stays close to the book. I told them not to get their hopes up, LOL

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 28th, 2013, 12:24 am 
I loved the book. Read it in a single sitting.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 6th, 2013, 9:35 pm 
Catching up on some DVDs.....

BOURNE LEGACY

Wow, could this be any more boring??!?!!? I don't really know the new guy, but it wasn't really his fault. I have enjoyed all of Damon's movies but not necessarily because of him, they just all seemed to have some interesting things beyond the usual stuff. The first one had a great fight scene, the one where the guy comes in through the window......

BATMAN

I knew this would suck but I figured I'd preview it for my 5th grader. It was as expected, except for Anne Hathaway. I've never liked her, but she impressed me in this movie. Not sure why, since her character was written with the standard and regrettable overconfident smugness that all movies seem to give to female action roles. Although, seeing a blurb about a supposed Oscar gown fiasco served to remind me how spoiled and undeserving of wealth these Hollywood stars are......

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 7th, 2013, 1:55 am 
Alora wrote:
Have you read World War Z? My kids had to read it for English in middle school.

What the hell? We were reading F. Scott Fitzgerald and Chaucer and the like when I was in middle school.....

The movie is nothing like the book, says everyone. It's going to be more like a 28 Days Later where you have bite=instant zombie. The whole wave of zombies looks cool, but when they have to go back and reshoot half a film, you have to wonder....

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 9th, 2013, 12:48 am 
The whole thing about WWZ was: no main character.

To cast a star who plays someone who takes part in the entire story is like... well... it's not WWZ.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 20th, 2013, 9:33 pm 
Tina Fey and Paul Rudd. Gotta see, The Admission. The most likeable actors around.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 23rd, 2013, 3:31 pm 
ZERO DARK THIRTY

Just caught this on DVD. A bit long, and I am not sure it's worthy of all the acclaim, but overall a well done movie and worth seeing.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 28th, 2013, 7:02 pm 
APRIL 5: EVIL DEAD (not much for horror remakes but this one has the Raimi blessing)

APRIL 19: OBLIVION (Crazy Tom, but looks like it might be worth seeing, will wait for some critic feedback)

MAY 3: IRONMAN 3 (Has to be better than I2. Might be really good with Shane Black bringing something different to the superhero genre. Marvel is nailing it's casting and directors. Robert Redford is rumored to be in the next CAPTAIN AMERICA.)

MAY 17: STAR TREK:INTO DARKNESS (Eff the haters, can't wait! Not sure about the 3D or not, will wait for some feedback.)

JUNE 21: MONSTERS UNIVERSITY
WORLD WAR Z (The zombie wave in the trailers has won me over. Hope it doesn't end up sucking.)

JULY 21: PACIFIC RIM (Giant robots and sea monsters+Del Tore = Yes Please!)

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 11th, 2013, 11:00 pm 
Jurassic Park 3D, XD Theater

The quality of the 3d conversion changes wildly throughout the movie. Scenes that they spent lots of time on, like the T-Rex attack, looked AMAZINGLY good. Others, like anything with Dennis Nedry, looked pretty bad. Any scene with rapid movement "close" to the screen got really blurry really fast. Lots of times they (I assume) helped the 3d effect by tweaking the relative size of items onscreen. Due to this, people type on massive keyboards, Dennis Nedry looked like he kept Han Solo in carbonite in a couple of scenes. Lots of flat cardboard-cutout people walking around.

The XD audio system was good for the T-Rex attack, but pretty much wasted elsewhere.

And, the kids are as annoying now as they ever were.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 17th, 2013, 3:07 pm 
"42".

The story played to our emotions, a little too much for my taste, less melodrama would have made in better, but still I highly recommend.

Be warned, No Zombies, No Vampires, No augmented breasts. :yo:

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 22nd, 2013, 4:20 am 
Oblivion

Surprisingly good, a mildly surprising twist, and very much entertaining enough to spend a night out and see. This won't be a classic sci-fi film in anyone's top 50 list, but it's a good flick.

Saw it in an XD theater, glad to see it wasn't XD-3D, and the audio track was superb.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 28th, 2013, 8:18 pm 
^ Good effects, I found the story a bit, meh. Can't probe too deep under the surface.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 12th, 2013, 10:38 pm 
Anyone seen Iron Man 3 yet? Just saw it this afternoon, I'm wondering what you all think about it. Overall, I liked it. But...without giving away parts of the story, I found some parts excessive. The big twist I heard about wasn't that big after all.

I mean, I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it the way I did the first Iron Man.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Mirage

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 5:02 pm 
Alora - We liked it. And the bit after the credits. Thought it took too long to get started.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 18th, 2013, 4:19 am 
Star Trek Into Darkness

I love the classic Trek, and a couple of the movies with the original cast. But I don't fall into the idiotic fanboy class that seems to want Abrams to simply follow the Trek canon. I think it was brilliant to have the first film blow all that up so that you have these pieces of the classic floating around, and you can grab them and lay them down in a new way that still calls back to the characters and settings of the classic universe.

That's exactly what is done with STID, and not only are the pieces laid down differently, sometimes they get flipped upside down. Some fanboys scream at this heresy, but I totally bought into it and, in fact, loved it.

Can't really go into much without spoilers and I think it's best to let it lie for a bit then come back to discuss. If you are going to see it, don't wait until you start hearing about the plot because I guarantee the first or second thing out of someone's mouth who knows anything about previous Trek will spoil some of the twists.

In terms of 3D, there are a couple scenes where it totally enhances the action and in all, it's a pretty good post conversion. (I didn't realize this was the first film shot in Imax (didnt realize it was shot in Imax period) then post converted to 3D.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 18th, 2013, 5:18 pm 
I rarely go to the movies but I am thinking of making an exception for this one and taking my older boys today. I am sure I'll conclude it's too long, but I have a lot more interest in this than Iron Man.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm 
I did end up seeing Stark Trek and I enjoyed it. Of course I thought it was too long, but it was still good, and a lot better than the boring superhero comic movies that descend like a plague every summer. I was a little concerned that they were going to go majorly politically correct, and was glad when they did not.

I have no plans to see Ironman 3 in the theater, except that I was somewhat intrigued by a comment I read somewhere that Gwyneth gets to do some ass kicking?

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 3rd, 2013, 11:45 pm 
Yeah, she did. She looked pretty good, both my older boys like her a lot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: