VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently January 15th, 2019, 11:57 pm
Board index » Jonesing For Vegas » Getting around in Vegas

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 29th, 2011, 7:47 pm 
Not sure how prevalent this is, it is pretty rare for me. But it happened to my wife and kids. It didn't occur to me to warn her about this, but since I warned her about the ride from the airport, it set off her radar and she tipped him $2 instead of the usual.

I'm going to start warning people about this as well.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: July 29th, 2011, 9:03 pm 
I usually tell the driver how I prefer to get there.
TBH, we have rented a car for the end of the last few trips to avoid the possibility of it happening.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 29th, 2011, 10:59 pm 
When we were going from the Encore to the airport, the female driver asked if we wanted to go by the freeway as it would be quicker as LV Boulevard was very busy. I told her we were in no hurry and the surface streets would be fine. The streets were actually as dead as I've ever seen them.

Standard Member

Post Posted: July 30th, 2011, 7:34 am 
Yeah this happened to me. I'd left the Riv for the airport (day trip to Reno), I think it was about 8AM in the morning. The guy said "we should take the freeway". The trip took about twice as long as I would have expected even for the freeway - I don't know the roads out there but he skipped the first exit. Looking on google maps I think he went right the way around.

When I left to go home the driver took me straight up Paradise Rd, no traffic at all, the fare was something like $15. So it is not necessary to go the whole way up the strip. I guess it is a case of knowing when the strip will be busy - my guess is that the mornings are pretty light.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: July 30th, 2011, 7:41 am 
That's why the only time I've taken a taxi to the airport was when I stayed at the Tropicana back in March. It would take one really ballsy cabbie to try to longhaul you from there.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 30th, 2011, 8:21 am 
Any taxi that wants to take LV Blvd to get to the airport is long hauling you! There is no real reason to drive on the strip unless you are going to the hotel right next to you.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 30th, 2011, 8:43 am 
Image :icon_biggrin:

Right now I have a full size (Charger) reserved for just over $100 total for 4+ days. And it's probably going to go down before I leave.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 31st, 2011, 1:08 pm 
luci5 wrote:
When we were going from the Encore to the airport, the female driver asked if we wanted to go by the freeway as it would be quicker as LV Boulevard was very busy. I told her we were in no hurry and the surface streets would be fine. The streets were actually as dead as I've ever seen them.

Now that I think about it, my driver asked me how I wanted to get there. I wonder if that was a way to try to figure out if he could long haul me.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 31st, 2011, 8:13 pm 
I've been long hauled 3 or 4 times, most of the time through the tunnel, but I had one cabby that decided to really push the limits on the surface streets and slow pedal a number of lights. It kind of sucks as it sets the trip off on the wrong foot, typically now, if I'm by myself I'll just take the shuttle in, as it's sort of a free strip trip anyway, and I look at the delay as bankroll preservation.

Profile WWW  

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 31st, 2011, 9:00 pm 
I followed a cab one day south on Koval. He went around Reno and came out on the Boulevard at Mandalay Bay Road. He turned south on LVB and then made a left at Sunset. I'm sure he probably took his passengers to Eastern to Russell and then back to the airport. It was disgusting!

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: July 31st, 2011, 11:04 pm 
jinx wrote:
...If I'm by myself I'll just take the shuttle in, as it's sort of a free strip trip anyway, and I look at the delay as bankroll preservation.
:+1:
If I have no plans to go off strip I will do the shuttle thing vs car rental.

To shuttle virgins: NEVER BUY THE ROUND TRIP Option!! The shuttle company will offer you a round trip deal, at the airport. It saves you fifty cents, but they force you to wait outside the hotel 3.5 hours before your flight for their shuttle. :thumbdown:
9 out of 10 times a shuttle will do their rounds and pick people up. If it gets a little too close for comfort I will catch a taxi and if I see someone alone with luggage I ask them if their going to the airport--- and if so.. I ask if they wish to split a taxi. The times I have done that I have only gotten one no. :twitch:

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2011, 10:01 am 
Evan614 wrote:
jinx wrote:
...If I'm by myself I'll just take the shuttle in, as it's sort of a free strip trip anyway, and I look at the delay as bankroll preservation.
:+1:
If I have no plans to go off strip I will do the shuttle thing vs car rental.

To shuttle virgins: NEVER BUY THE ROUND TRIP Option!! The shuttle company will offer you a round trip deal, at the airport. It saves you fifty cents, but they force you to wait outside the hotel 3.5 hours before your flight for their shuttle. :thumbdown:
9 out of 10 times a shuttle will do their rounds and pick people up. If it gets a little too close for comfort I will catch a taxi and if I see someone alone with luggage I ask them if their going to the airport--- and if so.. I ask if they wish to split a taxi. The times I have done that I have only gotten one no. :twitch:

That's a good point on the no round trip. I take a taxi back from the hotel to the airport, there I've never been longhauled, and from a cheap perspective (for those that are interested) the airport ride back will always be cheaper as it doesn't have the airport drop fee that the cabbies have to collect on pickup. For me it doesn't make a difference, I just couldn't stand to wait at the end of my trip for a shuttle to show up (or not show up).

Profile WWW  

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2011, 11:13 am 
jinx wrote:
I've been long hauled 3 or 4 times, most of the time through the tunnel, but I had one cabby that decided to really push the limits on the surface streets and slow pedal a number of lights. It kind of sucks as it sets the trip off on the wrong foot, typically now, if I'm by myself I'll just take the shuttle in, as it's sort of a free strip trip anyway, and I look at the delay as bankroll preservation.

If you really want to preserve your bankroll, you should try taking the bus. Not only is it cheaper, and much longer. Its kind of an adventure.

I decided to use the bus only on my trip a couple of years ago. IIRC, my flight landed about 4pm. It was a beautiful January day, so sitting at the bus stop for 15-20 minutes was no big deal. But by the time I got to my hotel it had taken over 2 hours. I swear that bus stopped every 30 feet to pick up or drop someone off.

When I went back to the airport, things were much quicker. It was mid morning and not as many people using the buses.

Standard Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2011, 11:37 am 
Snotick wrote:
jinx wrote:

If you really want to preserve your bankroll, you should try taking the bus. Not only is it cheaper, and much longer. Its kind of an adventure.
I'm in Vegas, I'm not sitting in a smelly shuttle or bus to preserve bankroll. If I really need to preserve my bankroll that badly I'll just stay home.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2011, 3:56 pm 
I quit using the shuttle bus companies after having to be picked up at 3:30 AM for a flight that was leaving around 7 AM. While I understand why I was picked up so early (they were picking up some other passengers in the Fremont Street area and it didn't make sense to send a bus out there at 4:30 AM to pick up one person), I got to the airport nearly three hours before my flight and about a half hour before they turned on the self-check-in kiosks (hell the line at the Delta check-in desk was already packed as well and the counters didn't open until 4 AM), so I had time to kill before I could even get my boarding pass (this was before I had my BlackBerry, which makes it easy to check-in, as I check-in from my phone and get my mobile boarding pass).

Ever since I started using a limo company for my transportation from the airport (and to it on a few occasions), it's been the best decision I've made. While it is a more expensive option, I hate driving in Las Vegas traffic and I can sit in the back and relax on the drive from the airport to my hotel since I typically stay Downtown. Still nothing tops my trip in March when I booked a sedan as usual and the guy that picked me up at the airport was driving a 6-passenger stretched Town Car. It was definitely overkill for just one person. When you're with a group of folks, a limo is a great option over a cab, as in some cases, it's actually cheaper than a cab if your group would require two cabs.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2011, 4:29 pm 
We've been very lucky to rate a comped limo to/from the airport for many years now and I highly recommend it. I think more of you with players cards should probably be asking for it, it's one of the easiest comps to get in my experience. Tip will be roughly what you'd pay in cab fare.

Prior to our comped existence, we had many, um, interesting experiences with cabs from the airport (and prepaid shuttles to the airport that never showed up).

I'd like to challenge anybody here who gets some, but not limo, comps to try getting airport transportation comped. I'd really like to know if it's as easy as I think it is.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 1st, 2011, 4:51 pm 
TexVP wrote:
We've been very lucky to rate a comped limo to/from the airport for many years now and I highly recommend it. I think more of you with players cards should probably be asking for it, it's one of the easiest comps to get in my experience. Tip will be roughly what you'd pay in cab fare.

Prior to our comped existence, we had many, um, interesting experiences with cabs from the airport (and prepaid shuttles to the airport that never showed up).

I'd like to challenge anybody here who gets some, but not limo, comps to try getting airport transportation comped. I'd really like to know if it's as easy as I think it is.

My next trip, complimentary round trip airport limo service is one of the amenities included in the room I booked at HOTEL32. It was one of the selling points to me booking there.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2011, 2:57 pm 
Snotick wrote:
jinx wrote:

I decided to use the bus only on my trip a couple of years ago. IIRC, my flight landed about 4pm. It was a beautiful January day, so sitting at the bus stop for 15-20 minutes was no big deal. But by the time I got to my hotel it had taken over 2 hours. I swear that bus stopped every 30 feet to pick up or drop someone off.

When I went back to the airport, things were much quicker. It was mid morning and not as many people using the buses.

Too many bags for me to take the bus, plus to me it would be a headache.

Drunken Actuary: Conserving bankroll is a bit of a misnomer anyway. I look at vegas trips differently then some people, since I rarely sleep when I'm there and typically up for about 20 hours, I realize that with 6 day trips there is plenty of time to gamble, so I don't let something like a shuttle ride bug me, especially if the difference is wading through a huge taxi line or an empty one only to have a cabbie that pisses me off within a half hour of landing in Vegas.

Profile WWW  

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2011, 3:00 pm 
TexVP wrote:

That's a good suggestion Tex, and if I had a relationship at either CET or MGM that wasn't log in and check what I get and then book, I'd definitely ask for it. I imagine you are right, my parents who aren't big players rated a comp limo from Riviera to and from after some consecutive stays there.

Profile WWW  

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Treasure Island - Golden Nugget

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2011, 5:00 pm 
vespajet wrote:
TexVP wrote:

My next trip, complimentary round trip airport limo service is one of the amenities included in the room I booked at HOTEL32. It was one of the selling points to me booking there.

I stayed at Hotel32 a couple of years ago, really enjoyed it and I think you will really dig it

Jump to: