VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently January 18th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Board index » Jonesing For Vegas » Getting around in Vegas

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 9th, 2012, 10:22 am 
I've been shopping rental car prices for my trip this fall, mostly through Dollar. Not sure if anyone else has done something like this, hopefully I can find the answers I need.

I have moved away from using my Southwest Airlines Visa, so the only CC I have earning points is my Wells Fargo Visa. I checked their rewards program and they always beat the Dollar website rate by a few dollars. At the bottom of the WF page it states "Price displayed is the starting from price and is the average daily rate based on your search parameters. Rate includes unlimited mileage, taxes and most fees. Click options below to sort your results." This seems like a pretty big savings if it includes the taxes and fees. When I select the same size car and go to book it on the Dollar website, there are usually $15-20 in fees added (airport fee, facility fee, etc)

With that in mind, I did a google search and found that some people may have problems in the event of an accident if they rent a car entirely with points or a coupon. Since there was zero charge to the credit card at the time of the rental, your credit card company's coverage doesn't kick in. (I know some personal auto ins will still cover you)

Now I noticed that WF Rewards allows you the option to pay with a combination of points and "cash". I haven't clicked to the point of payment, but I am wondering if I can pay this "cash" portion with my WF CC? On a $30 rental I could use 2800 points and pay $2 to still get the CC insurance.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: June 9th, 2012, 11:51 am 
Is this a pre-paid non-refundable transaction?
I think a car rental is not the best way to burn points if you have to cancel your plans or change them... I would think you would lose it if it's a pre-paid transaction.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 9th, 2012, 1:05 pm 
I guess I will need to look into the refund policy. However the odds of me missing a Vegas trip are about 1000 to 1. I would have to be really sick, in the hospital, or somebody died. If that was the case, the loss of a few rewards points, wouldn't matter.

I think I may try to call a Wells Fargo Rewards rep. There is a Dollar counter at Treasure Island, I would like to return the car there instead of the airport, but the online search through WF rewards doesn't allow me to choose a different drop off location.

In an attempt to maintain my frugal ways I am looking at getting a rental car when I land on Thurs AM. This will save me the taxi fare ($20) to the Jockey Club. I can also use the car to hit the grocery store. This will save me at least $25 over the course of my 10 day stay. I would then like to return the car on Friday morning. (preferably to Treasure Island) I may have to go back to the car rental facility at the airport and then take a combination of buses to get back to the hotel. Which is fine with me, I would take the opportunity to visit Fry's (we don't have one here), Mandalay Bay and Luxor.

I have a lot of time to book the car. But the target right now is to pick up at the Airport and return to TI. Any rate under $45 (with tax/fees) will be money saved.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 9th, 2012, 2:37 pm 
Snotick wrote:
I would take the opportunity to visit Fry's (we don't have one here)

I thought from your avatar that you are from the Chicagoland area, because we do have one in Downers Grove.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 9th, 2012, 2:42 pm 
You could get the WAX bus from the airport to LVB/Tropicana. $2 fare for a one way trip, and you can just pay on the bus.

NYNY to Jockey Club isn't a long walk.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 10th, 2012, 4:30 pm 
skybank wrote:
Snotick wrote:

I thought from your avatar that you are from the Chicagoland area, because we do have one in Downers Grove.

Actually, I am in Omaha. Just a Blackhawks/Bears Fan. But thanks for the info.

Pebbles - I'm not sure what you mean by taking the WAX bus to NYNY? I've used the buses before to go from the airport to south strip terminal and then the deuce to planet hollywood stop. While this was doable, it took a pretty long time to complete (I think 2 hours from the time I arrived at the bus stop area at the airport. I wouldn't have minded the ride, if I didn't have my luggage. I could then get on and off at different spots on my way down the strip.

My main reason for the rental car was the added bonus of making a grocery run. With the long trip of 10 days, it's nice to have some snacks/drinks in the room. I can easily save $25-30 for the week if I don't have to buy chips, salsa, granola bars, or beverages from the ABC store or Walgreens.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 10th, 2012, 4:50 pm 
Snot, here's the WAX route map from the RTC website. It is limited stops all the way out to Summerlin. From the ariport the corner of LVB at the Tropicana would be first.

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/transi ... -12%29.pdf

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 10th, 2012, 8:02 pm 
What historian said. Sorry, I should have posted the route. We used it twice. Once when our first hotel was Excalibur and once when we were staying downtown. It really isn't a long bus route because it has so few stops.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 10th, 2012, 8:37 pm 
Snotick wrote:
skybank wrote:
Snotick wrote:

Actually, I am in Omaha. Just a Blackhawks/Bears Fan. But thanks for the info.

Oh, ok! I lived there, well actually Bellevue, for 4 years while I as stationed at Offutt.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 10th, 2012, 9:36 pm 
LOL Somehow, this thread has morphed into the a discussion about taking the bus from the Airport to hotel. I'm grateful for the info and it may help someone else that was looking for the cheapest way to get from the airport to the strip.

But, by taking the bus instead of renting a car, it eliminates the opportunity for me to go to Walmart. I was hoping to return the car to the TI counter instead of going back to the airport. But, if I was forced to return the car to the airport using the Deuce or SDX an make some stops on my way back to mid strip

Post Posted: June 10th, 2012, 9:41 pm 
I think they are suggesting if you have to return the car rental at the airport facility... (meaning TI would not take it) there is a cheap bus route for you, to get back to JC

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 10th, 2012, 11:29 pm 
OK, that makes more sense. I've done a little research and there are a couple of bus stops right out front of the Rental Car facility on Gilespie St. I was hoping to jump on one of those that would take me to the South Strip Transfer Terminal. Then I could choose either the SDX or Deuce to head back up the strip.

I would prefer to not have to catch the shuttle from the rental car facility back to the airport. Only to catch a bus from the airport back to the strip. If I can't catch a bus to the SSTT, I will have to decide if it will be quicker/easier to walk to the SSTT or take the shuttle back to the airport.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 24th, 2012, 8:31 am 
I went ahead and booked (and rebooked a day later) a car through Dollar. I'm sure the rate will continue to drop over the coming months. But, as it stands now, I was able to book an economy car (I have a coupon for a upgrade, if available) at a cost of $15.22. After taxes, it will be about $5 more expensive than taking a cab from the airport.

On a side note. I found a discussion on another message board about getting to/from the Rental Car Center by bus. Someone mentioned that Dollar has a free shuttle that will take you back to your hotel. I need to call and confirm this. If true, then this will be perfect.

95 days and counting.

EDIT: I called Dollar this afternoon to inquire about the free shuttle back to strip hotels. The first number I called was an 800 number and got a call center. Of course the CS agent told me that there is only the shuttle/bus that runs to/from the airport. Since I am a stubborn person, I located the number for the Dollar rental counter at T.I. I talked to a very nice lady there that stated there is a free shuttle that will bring me back to a strip hotel. She stated that they start at 8 AM and stop around 5:30pm

Of course these things can change, but I'm hoping for the best.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Treasure Island - Golden Nugget

Post Posted: June 26th, 2012, 10:51 pm 
If I don't keep the car for my entire trip I drop it off at Treasure Island

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 27th, 2012, 9:20 am 
Returning the car to TI was my preferred choice. But, when you compare the rates, Dollar charges more to pick up at the Airport and return the car to TI.

I checked the rates again this morning. A 24 hour economy car rental for Thurs morning -Fri Morning is $14.08. When you pick up and return to the Airport Facility the total is $26.23. When you pick up at the Airport Facility and return to TI the total is $39.44.

Since the whole point of renting a car was to save money, I stuck with the Airport pickup/return. I'm sure the price will drop again before my trip. But, at this rate I am getting pretty close to what I normally spend on cab fair from the airport.

Jump to: