VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently June 26th, 2019, 4:27 am
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Non-Vegas News

Forum rules

Post articles you wish to discuss, voice criticism, add commentary or educate us on. Please make sure your posting has a link to the article, for full credit purposes. I think it is alright to quote a line or two, if you wish. Righthaven has solidified the fair use aspect. See docs/DMCArules.htm for more guidelines.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 27th, 2013, 11:12 am 
...as a hero. "No greater love has no one than this..." comes to mind at the moment.

http://news.msn.com/us/united-airlines- ... cy-landing

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 27th, 2013, 8:45 pm 
I should learn not to put too much stock in initial, breaking news stories of an event. The way it was written here this morning (if they haven't updated it), it made it seem as if the pilot landed the aircraft while stricken, but prior to passing away. I just read a more recent report on Yahoo News which indicates he was probably already dead, as CPR was being administered, leaving it up to (evidently, but it does not state so) the copilot to land the plane.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: September 28th, 2013, 11:28 am 
These sort of incidents happen more often than you think. Last month, a pilot for TAM Airlines collapsed on a Rio to Paris flight (the flight diverted to Salvador, Brazil) and died three days later. While passengers dying in flight is a more common occurrence, a crew member dying in flight happens at least a few times a year.

My last flight to Vegas, we almost had to make a medical diversion, as there was a passenger that may have had a heart attack. They asked over that if there were any doctors or nurses aboard to come to seat 40-something. There was 5 or 6 guys that went back there (including a guy in the row behind me) and determined that the passenger's condition was stable enough to not require a medical diversion. It may have gotten the flight priority into LAS though, as even though the flight left ATL about 45 minutes late and even factoring in the typical cushioning in the schedule airlines put in, we arrived pretty much at the scheduled time.

Jump to: