VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently June 15th, 2019, 7:12 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 1:00 am 
This Dell we've had for awhile may be going south on me. Though not often, I've noticed in the last few days the screen going momentarily to a gray out and then coming back a couple or three times in quick succession.

Within the price range attractive to me, would you guys recommend a Dell, an Acer or an HP. All 15.6 inches and with Windows 8 installed. Don't try to tell me go a few dollars more for this, that or the other thing or your recommendation won't matter. :icon_wink:

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 1:04 am 
Don't get an Acer. I've had a lot of good luck with Dell. I haven't had that many HPs, not sure why. What is the price range?

Everything new will have Win8, but the Q is whether you want a touchscreen, which is quite convenient with Win8.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 1:17 am 
I hate fingerprints on my screens. That's my one big gripe about my Galaxy Android phone. With 8, I'm assuming it's just an option and doesn't replace the mouse pointer, right?

Thanks for confirming my faith in Dell. You always hear elitists make fun of them, but I too have had good luck with the brand.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 9:38 am 
If you have not played with a windows 8 laptop. I HIGHLY suggest playing with it for at least 30 minutes in the store. I personally found it awkward and buggy.
They still sell laptops with Win7. Micro Center has one for $529. (HP). I own 2 HP laptops and all are alive still. I gave one to my mom (my oldest I bought back around 2001) The other is a 2003 and is used for a specific work purpose.

dell outlet:
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-laptops?~ck=anav

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 10:39 am 
Thanks, Evan. Why couldn't they have just left well enough alone and stopped development at XP?

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 10:55 am 
personally I like Win7 over XP. less right clicking. more info about files on bottom of window. If they just added a few more features to Win 7 it would of been perfect. but now Microsoft went a whole different direction (win 8) ... trying to look like an app OS vs a program GUI.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 10:57 am 
Lots of complaints about 8 online. Evidently it's great if you own a pad, but not so great for PCs or Laptops. And I doubt I'll ever own a pad.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 2nd, 2013, 12:51 pm 
I didn't know there were still laptops around with Win7, but it's probably a very limited selection. You'll have this laptop for a while, so you may not want to limit yourself. It is true though that Win7 is a great OS and I have not upgraded my main laptop to Win8, and don't plan to anytime soon.

Fortunately with Win8 it's easy to get rid of the most annoying things about it, you can boot straight to the desktop and you can add a real start menu button. I have not found Win8 buggy, just non-intuitive.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 3rd, 2013, 11:31 am 
Based on my experience, the lower end HPs can be as crappy as anything. The higher end are as good or better than any.

Was looking at a laptop with Win 8 yesterday in Office Depot, and could not for the life of me figure out how to do anything except run one of the apps that were visible. And I'm an IT guy (though admittedly a dinosaur).

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm 
Well, tonight when I get home I open the box and confront *sinister music* 8. I'm dreading it. I don't want to see tiles. I don't want to put my fingers on the screen. I just want to see Google with the little Firefox icon above it and let my mouse pointer go floating happily on its busy work. I went with an HP machine, btw.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 29th, 2013, 10:20 pm 
Is it a touch screen?

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 29th, 2013, 10:51 pm 
Hmmmm, never considered that, rog. I just assumed touch screen compatibilty in all computers with W8 installed. If it isn't I'm a step ahead the way I look at it. I did see a cnet tutorial to get it to run like older versions. It's going to take awhile though.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 29th, 2013, 10:55 pm 
Eventually all laptops with Win8 will be touch screen, but that's not the case right now......

In any event, there are simple tweaks you can make if you just want a traditional Windows experience, like booting directly to the desktop, and adding a start button. I've come to like the Win8 start screen because I use some of the apps, especially the news one. I keep mine very trim though, and I removed most of the apps and it's just one screen.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 29th, 2013, 11:52 pm 
Thanks. This is the beginning of my weekend so I'll have tine to pla ywith it.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 30th, 2013, 10:09 am 
So far, so good. I've installed Firefox and made Google my home page. I just scroll to the right and there beyond all the app tiles is the icon I need. I'm also thinning out those tiles, deleting things like Netflix, Kindle, etc which I'll never use.

Don't like the idea that I can't install a Google toolbar up top. There's something called appbario18. It defaults to Ding when I search in it. So I just click on the 'home' icon and search from the main Google page to avoid that. I hate Ding.

Rebuilding my Bookmarks slowly.

Getting used to those control icons on the right which appear when you bury the mouse pointer in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Best way to do a shut down.

I installed a Control Panel icon in the taskbar at the bottom for quick access because there's no Start/Stop button in the lower corner on W8.

And I do have my Mirage background installed on the desktop. Gotta stay psyched. T minus one month.

That reminds me. I have to install a countdown clock on the screen. See ya.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 30th, 2013, 9:49 pm 
One thing I don't like is that my Windows 8 password is the same password my hotmail account uses. I'd rather 8 not ask for any password, but I can't seem to stop that, even when going to Command Prompt (admin) and unchecking that box. I wouldn't mind having to enter the password if I could establish a different one than my email account's. Occasionally someone else might want to use the machine and I'd rather not impart that info. Any ideas, rog?

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 30th, 2013, 10:02 pm 
This should help get rid of the password:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57457 ... in-screen/

If you want a password but not the hotmail one, I believe you need to change the account to a "local" one.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 30th, 2013, 10:52 pm 
That did the trick Rog. Evidently Lance at cnet added one little trick that had not been included in the other instructions I followed via the command prompt box. Thanks.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 31st, 2013, 10:15 pm 
Well, I did something and after the Bing homepage barged in a couple of times, I reset Google as my homepage (again). This time a popup appeared asking me if it was what I wanted. Ahhhhhh, yeah! And now it includes the Google toolbar with small search box. Finally!!

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jump to: