VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently January 18th, 2019, 1:46 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Main Street Station/TheCal

Post Posted: August 20th, 2013, 12:57 am 
vespajet wrote:
I'll likely make the move over to Apple.

AGGGGGH!
AGGGGGGH!

:bluecry: :icon_lol: :bluecry:

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Treasure Island - Golden Nugget

Post Posted: August 20th, 2013, 10:04 am 
Hawaiianmark wrote:
vespajet wrote:

AGGGGGH!
AGGGGGGH!

Someone will make a smartphone with keys....I hope!!

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 20th, 2013, 1:04 pm 
I think Vesapa got influenced by subliminal advertising in that new "Jobs" film.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: August 20th, 2013, 4:43 pm 
Hawaiianmark wrote:
vespajet wrote:

AGGGGGH!
AGGGGGGH!

Hawaiianmark wrote:
I think Vesapa got influenced by subliminal advertising in that new "Jobs" film.

Nope. I've not seen it, nor do I have any intentions to see it.

Had Virgin Mobile USA offered the iPhone at the time I got my first BlackBerry, I probably would had gotten it instead because of having an iPod Touch (first and so far only Apple product I have ever bought). When I got my first BlackBerry, the Android devices Virgin Mobile offered were garbage devices running the earliest builds Android, so as a result, I've never really been interested in Android-powered phones. When I got my PlayBook tablet, I came very close to getting an iPad2 since at the time both tablets were priced the same (one of the biggest mistakes BlackBerry made with the PlayBook early on was pricing it the same as the iPad) and the fact that I could use BlackBerry Bridge to connect it to my phone's data is what won me over. Of course a few months later, they slashed the prices on the device since it wasn't selling (plus they were essentially using PlayBook users are beta testers as they kept delaying a long promised update that would make the tablet what it was supposed to be).

I just upgraded to a Z10 and paid a pretty penny for it (About as much as I paid for my last two BlackBerry phones combined.) and will be hanging onto it for at least 2-3 years before thinking about a new phone. If there are no longer any BlackBerry devices on the market (either made by BlackBerry or using BlackBerry software), I would probably opt for the iPhone over Android or whatever other options are out there at that time. When my PlayBook tablet eventually gives up the ghost, I'll get another tablet to replace it, I'm just not sure what kind. I'll more than likely opt for something similar in size like the Kindle Fire HD or the Google Nexus (While the iPad and the iPad Mini are nice, they are a bit too expensive in comparison to other tablets.). What's interesting is that since getting my Z10, I'm using my PlayBook less and less.

donnymac66 wrote:
Hawaiianmark wrote:
vespajet wrote:

AGGGGGH!
AGGGGGGH!

Someone will make a smartphone with keys....I hope!!

There's still a market for them, but more than likely, such smartphones will be sliders so they can maintain a fairly standard touchscreen size across the board. There are some folks on Crackberry that are wishing/hoping for a BB10 slider along the lines of the BlackBerry Torch (In some respects, the Z10 is the successor to the Storm 2, which was better received than the original Storm touchscreen phone.). Hopefully BlackBerry sticks around and the brand continues on.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 22nd, 2013, 5:48 pm 
Yeah I actually think there's quite a big market for smartphones with keyboards. My wife won't give up her Samsung because she likes the keyboard. If someone were to make a really sleek slider I think it would sell very well.

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: August 22nd, 2013, 7:35 pm 
I prefer the keyboard too. I wish Palm had kept up with things better.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 24th, 2013, 8:11 pm 
Looks like a ton of BB apps are just from one company, and most of those apps suck. I wonder if this was the result of BB's $10k/app incentive. I never thought that word work, but I didn't realize it would actually backfire so badly.....

http://readwrite.com/2013/08/21/blackbe ... eYzjmo8VIR

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 25th, 2013, 2:29 am 
I need tactical. more ways than one.

I refuse to go screen touch. I may be forced to carry quarters to use a pay phone.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 25th, 2013, 10:12 am 
What's interesting about the keyboard on the Z10 is that it "learns" based on your typing. If you're prone to misspelling a certain word, it knows it and makes the correction. You don't even have to type out entire words, as they will appear at the bottom of the screen for you to press or hover above a letter for you to flick into the body of whatever you're typing.

Probably my biggest gripe with the phone is the method used to answer the phone. I have to swipe down on the screen to answer a call and if you don't do it just right, it takes a few swipes. I would have liked for them to have come up with a virtual version of the phone buttons from the older phones (The Q10 also lacks these buttons.) as opposed to having to swipe down on the screen.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 20th, 2013, 7:22 pm 
BlackBerry Quits on Consumer and 4,500 Workers

It appears that the recently announced Z30 is likely the last BlackBerry device sold to consumers, as BlackBerry will refocus their efforts on the enterprise market. Good luck with that considering a number of large companies and government agencies have dumped BlackBerry in recent years. They're writing off $2 billion in unsold inventory as a result.

I will be sticking with my Z10 for at least another two years, and while it is tempting to go ahead and jump ship, I've spent too much money in the last three years on BlackBerry devices to do that at this time. I just don't see a white knight coming in and keeping BlackBerry in the consumer business, so whatever generation the iPhone will be at in 2 years, that's where I'll likely land.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 20th, 2013, 11:36 pm 
At least we dont get in fisticuffs for our CrackBerrys........

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 21st, 2013, 11:15 am 
Hawaiianmark wrote:
At least we dont get in fisticuffs for our CrackBerrys........

You typically don't see lines forming in front of stores selling them either (Although when the Q10 was released in the UK, Selfridges was the first store to have them and sold out their initial shipment of 2000 units in 90 minutes and folks were lined up to buy the device and was the fastest selling phone in the store's history.). I prefer ordering online anyway, as you don't have to deal with any sales staff trying to pressure you into buying a different device (Which is something a number of people have reported experiencing when trying to buy a BB10 device at a store.) or a boatload of accessories or needless service plans.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 23rd, 2013, 9:17 am 
I had a blackberry for not quite a year. I loved the keyboard. I miss it terribly, but it was annoying to reach for your phone only to find it had dialed someone or it was on a screen it wasn't supposed to be on. I MISS that keyboard. When I touched a "k" I got a "k." I think my fingers are too fat for a touch keyboard, I am constantly making mistakes.

But, boy, did the apps SUCK big time on blackberry. Incredibly awful.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 23rd, 2013, 3:32 pm 
I don't miss the keyboard as much as I thought I would, as once I got the hang of the "flick typing" (common words as well as words you may commonly use will appear on the virtual keyboard above a letter and you "flick" it into the body of the message), I really got to liking the touch keyboard. Plus it learns your typing habits, like words you may commonly misspell and automatically fixes them. I like having the extra screen real estate the Z10 has over the Q10.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 27th, 2013, 5:54 pm 
Well that was fun, got a nice set of discounts in the last week or so. On Tuesday when Apple announced the new ipads, they dropped the refurb price even more, for their 4th Gen ones. So I picked up a new set for the kids, I had grown tired of dealing with the 16GBs. So what to do with 4 iPad 2nd Gen? Usually I give these away to avoid the hassles or resales, but MS was having its exchange-for-credit promotion, $200 per iPad. So I brought them all in, they were in pretty good condition so I got the full $200 on each. Now, these were refurbs to begin with, so I suspect I paid about $350 or so for each of them. Quite a good deal with only 20 minutes of hassle for the paperwork.

Then it turns out the 256GB Surface Pro 2 is out, I thought it was 12/15. So I used the credit right then. Picked it up, along with accidental warranty and Office 365, for about $850 out the door. What a deal!!

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 11th, 2013, 2:53 pm 
Will Amazon save the Post Office?

Love that I will be getting Sunday delivery!!!!! About time.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 12th, 2013, 10:25 pm 
Who knows...it just might. I didn't see it coming, though.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: December 5th, 2013, 11:52 am 
If you use Firefox you may want to check your privacy settings. Mine got changed back to default somehow, perhaps through an auto update.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: December 6th, 2013, 7:08 pm 
SSD prices just keep dropping......Here is a 120GB SSD for $80. Nice upgrade for a netbook or the Chromebook.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/380450

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 25th, 2014, 8:04 pm 
I am loving Sony's camera trend: they use a standard microusb to charge. No more having to carry around different cables or a separate charger. All of my current Sony cameras do this. I will probably replace my wife's point-and-shoot Canon because of this convenience. Just got the Sony WX300 and it looks about as small as my wife's Canon, but with an incredible 20x zoom.

In Vegas I used to carry a higher end camera like the NEX or RX, plus a large 20x superzoom. Now instead of a large 40x superzoom, I carry a compact 30x. Well, now I think I will be using this very small Sony WX300 20x instead, it still should be plenty to get the Tix4Tonite close-ups and go-go dancers, just like the original large 20x I used to carry.

Jump to: