VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently July 24th, 2019, 2:20 am
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 20th, 2013, 7:30 pm 
...in my Gateway 10.1 netbook. At least I suspect it's the 7 Starter OS. I put more faith in the hardware than software. Besides, I've seen similar comments online. So, my question is, can one purchase and install a new operating system in a machine of this sort. And is it cost prohibitive. I'd love to be running XP Home.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: July 20th, 2013, 9:27 pm 
you can install XP but it wont run much faster. a netbook has a much weaker CPU verses a tradition laptop. if you install Linux you will run nice but I suspect you won't like the OS

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 20th, 2013, 9:54 pm 
Thanks. About the CPU, I used to have an HP 10.1 which came with XP. I had very good speed with that one. I gave it to a friend, but found they were no longer available so went with the Gateway as a replacement. Maybe I'll talk to the Geeks at Best Buy, where I bought it, to see if they've had complaints from others. I'm not crazy about 7 Starter anyway. You can't even set a desktop background of your own choosing on the screen.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Post Posted: July 20th, 2013, 11:08 pm 
I should say the majority of my slow down on my netbook was the antivirus. try uninstalling it to see if that helps you. you can always install a new one.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 20th, 2013, 11:49 pm 
I'm assuming this was meant for the techie question. Okay, I'll give it a try but all I have is AVG and that runs without causing any trouble on this full sized laptop. And it's not like it's giving me self praising warnings about how great a job it's doing. I know it's not spyware or registry problems as when it started to run slow, I bought Enigma's Spyhunter and Reghunter. They found a ton of problems, but even after doing so it still runs slow.

No real biggie. The only time I use it, besides my trips, is after my workouts when I go to Dunkins from the gym for a coffee and WiFi.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 12:50 am 
If it just started happening, that means your system is just bogged down. You probably inadvertently installed some software that slows everything down. Lots of basic software, like Java, flash, or free antivirus, has additional software that it will install unless you carefully unclick.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 7:17 am 
Thanks, rog. I'll check my installed programs list and get rid of any crap I don't need.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 9:13 am 
AVG is a hog.
looks like spyhunder gets a bad rating from PC Magazine http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1523245,00.asp
I couldn't find anything about Reghunter... (at least a reliable review site) not a bad sign but cream that rises to the top is popular and this program is no where near the top.

I suggest uninstalling the spyhunter and reghunter and AVG (along with what rog suggested... I bet you'll find some "toolbar" programs if you are not careful when installing a program.) If your computer runs nice and smooth.. then you know what your problem was. Dave (a very big IT guy aka my booth-babe photographer) uses Microsoft essentials for virus protection. I am not sure if it slows down the computer much but he swore by it.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 9:32 am 
Evan, I paid for Enigma's SpyHunter/Reg/Hunter suite. I'm not about to uninstall them. :icon_wink:

Not sure about Microsoft's security options. They seem pretty invasive to me. Always butting in when you don't want them to is the impression I get.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 10:09 am 
I've used AVG in the past but switched over to Avast because AVG had become a PITA and was hogging up resources and was constantly causing issues with some webpages that were safe. I bought their Internet Security package which does a really good job at keeping my computer safe and has a lot of useful features. It will even remove toolbars and other garbage that sometimes get installed maliciously.

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 11:00 am 
historian wrote:
Evan, I paid for Enigma's SpyHunter/Reg/Hunter suite. I'm not about to uninstall them.

So since you paid for it .. it's better?? Or you hate the thought of what you bought is ruining your computer experience? :scratchheadblue: Can you return it?

For every paid program you want... there is an equally good free version.

SpyHunter = Malwarebytes (free)
RegHunter = CCleaner (free) and does more than clean up registration.

the difference between them are the ones you bought are real-time. (always running) verses the one I pointed you only run when your actually physically clicking on it and saying run.

and since the ones you bought are real time programs -- they are always running and will slow down your computer.
I too have Avast (free version) and works great. I dumped AVG a few years ago when their program went from 40 meg to 100 meg.
I install Panda Antivirus on netbooks since it is less of a resource hog, but its scan takes a few hours.

Old post (free programs): viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2233&p=17880#p17880
I guess I could make it a sticky.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: July 21st, 2013, 11:37 am 
Evan, I don't see any difference in the performance of either laptop or netbook since I bought it and installed it on both. In fact I bought it due to the slowness of the netbook thinking I had something hiding in there slowing it down. Though it didn't clear the problem up, I'm otherwise happy with the product. It's quick and finds stuff when it's there or otherwise lets me know there's no problems. I run both scans every 48 hours or so.

I still think the problem is the OS. Others have had the same complaint about 7 Starter.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 14th, 2013, 2:04 am 
My Gateway netbook is in the shop (PC Wizard) now. $70 for a diagnosis. Hopefully I'll know what the problem is by tomorrow.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 14th, 2013, 2:34 am 
That's an expensive diagnosis for a netbook.......

Since it was ok before, I still think it's not likely to be the OS unless there was a weird update that bogged things down. Do you have auto updates turned on? I have mine off all the time.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 14th, 2013, 7:10 am 
Yeah, I believe I do and that's because they take $%^&* to load the way it's running now. I'll talk to them about that when they call. Thanks, rog.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 14th, 2013, 7:53 am 
My three year old netbook is slow, but I thought it was just because it was old. Should I look into cleaning it up?? You guys know me, I'm not techie at all. I have three years worth of pictures on it, itunes (that I quit using, I hate itunes) and that's pretty much it.

Post Posted: August 14th, 2013, 8:16 am 
How much data-free hard drive space is left???? (give it to me in Megs and % of space)

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 14th, 2013, 7:40 pm 
On mine, after a lengthy systens check, no hidden worms or viruses found. Hardware looks good. Next stop Best Buy to pick up and install more memory. To be continued ..

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 16th, 2013, 1:34 am 
The ram should help, and maybe solve the issue. I still suspect that it was a newly updated or installed program, or an update from MS. If it was an update from MS, then yeah you're hosed and the ram would probably be needed to do the trick.

It's too bad that you haven't been able to get more experience with regular Win7, before moving to Win8 with your new laptop. Win7 is better than XP in every way. Can't say the same about Win8.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 23rd, 2013, 2:03 pm 
Received my 2GB RAM stick from Crucial. I'm going to have to take the keyboard off and disconnect the strap, unscrew four screws, push the back plate off and THEN I can get to the old 1GB stick and replace it with the new one. Nothing's easy. I guess that's the price you pay for compactness.

Louie DePalma 'Taxi'

Jump to: