VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently June 16th, 2019, 10:32 am
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Mandalay Bay - Monte Carlo

Post Posted: November 1st, 2012, 2:34 pm 
We had our cell service rep in the office today and he was telling us there is a new Blackberry (he was calling it the "10") device coming out next year (mid-year it sounded like). He said that he was discussing it with one of his larger clients and was pretty impressed with its capabilities.

Ya'll might have already heard about it, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Visit our new site: Las Vegas For Beginners
Like/Join our Facebook Group: HERE

Profile WWW  
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 1st, 2012, 4:03 pm 
10 inches?

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Treasure Island - Golden Nugget

Post Posted: November 1st, 2012, 4:34 pm 
BB10 is their new operating system. It is due out 1Q 2013. As a blackberry fan I am interested to see it live

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: November 1st, 2012, 5:18 pm 
donnymac66 wrote:
BB10 is their new operating system. It is due out 1Q 2013. As a blackberry fan I am interested to see it live

What he said.....

There's going to be two initial devices, a touchscreen only device (Working name BlackBerry London AKA BlackBerry L) and a more traditional looking BlackBerry device with a touchscreen and physical keyboard (Working name BlackBerry Nevada AKA BlackBerry N).

There are currently two developer devices out in the wild Dev Alpha A and Dev Alpha B that are similar in look to the touchscreen only device above but with some tech differences (Dev Alpha A does not have a removable batter while the Dev Alpha B does. There are some front facing camera differences as well as one has a flash and the other doesn't.).

The touchscreen only device will be released first with the touchscreen+physical keyboard to follow a short time later. I'm planning on getting a BB10 device, but I cannot decide whether to stick with the classic BlackBerry style and go for the touchscreen+keyboard (The current OS7 Bold devices are similar to this although the new BB10 devices lose the row of buttons above the keyboard [which with the touchscreen you really don't need.] as well as the camera button on the side of the device.) or go for the full touchscreen (I have gotten pretty good at on-screen typing on my PlayBook tablet, so it wouldn't be that much of a difference.).

Going by the specs of the Dev Alpha devices, the main camera will be 8 MP and will have some interesting features:

Word is that there will a number of big name apps that are currently unavailable for the BlackBerry that will be available for BB10. One other thing is that BB10 will be able to run Android apps, similar to how the PlayBook tablet currently does (BB10 is related to the OS used by the PlayBook and the PlayBook will upgrade its' OS to BB10.). With RIM using BB10 in their future devices as well as the PlayBook tablet, it does open up more app possibilities since as it currently is, one would have to develop different versions for the current BB OS (OS7) as well as the PlayBook and that just did not make as much financial sense for developers.

rog wrote:
10 inches?

RIM is still looking into bringing out a 10" version of the PlayBook next year (Rumored for Q3) and some have been spotted out in the wild.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Main Street Station/TheCal

Post Posted: November 2nd, 2012, 3:38 am 
That Nevada one has me well smitten.

Nice.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Mandalay Bay - Monte Carlo

Post Posted: November 2nd, 2012, 8:10 am 
Vespa, thanks for the info about the Playbook being able to run Android apps, I didn't know that. I am updating my website app page info after I found several Vegas apps that do have BB versions (the update should hit this weekend). I'm sure you already know most of them.

My Verizon rep was quite smitten with the new BB.

Visit our new site: Las Vegas For Beginners
Like/Join our Facebook Group: HERE

Profile WWW  

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 2nd, 2012, 3:17 pm 
russgrad wrote:
Vespa, thanks for the info about the Playbook being able to run Android apps, I didn't know that. I am updating my website app page info after I found several Vegas apps that do have BB versions (the update should hit this weekend). I'm sure you already know most of them.

My Verizon rep was quite smitten with the new BB.

Part of the issue I'm finding with the BB apps is that the majority of the phone apps are not compatible with BB7 so I couldn't get those apps to work on my BB7 phone when I upgraded phones back in February and they are not available for any OS7 device.

I've tried to get some Vegas related Android apps converted to run on the PlayBook, but they have some native coding in the software that won't let it run on the PlayBook. Hopefully when BB10 comes out, some of the 110,000 apps RIM is promising at the time of the launch of BB10 will be some Vegas related ones. One plus is that RIM has the tools in place to port iOS and Android apps into BB10 apps and hopefully some developers that hadn't brought their apps out for the BlackBerry will do so.

http://pressblue.com/blackberry-10-rebu ... ward-jones

I think BB10 will change the way folks look at BlackBerry and will win some folks that jumped ship back as well as some new users. BlackBerry used to be the dominant company in the smartphone market and allowed itself to get too comfortable and dropped the ball on things and instead developing new devices to keep up with the iPhone and Android, they made minor improvements or developed devices that just weren't that good.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 12th, 2012, 3:27 pm 
BlackBerry 10 Launch Event to be Held on January 30th 2013

The first two devices as well as their release date will be announced then. Hopefully they'll be releasing them shortly thereafter. I'm thinking around Valentine's Day for the touchscreen only device and mid-March for the touchscreen+keyboard version.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 24th, 2013, 6:00 pm 
BlackBerry Z10 v. iPhone 5:

Jump to: