VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently March 24th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 6:44 pm 
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I used it at home quite a bit when I first got it 3 years ago instead of my desktop so it must have been fast enough then. Now I only use it on holiday 4-5 times a year. That said, when I have fired it up at home to update it I find it equally slow and unresponsive.

As I said, I run CCleaner regularly to get rid of any junk and temporary files, but there shouldn't be much anyway as it is only used for around 6 weeks a year. I defrag it if necessary, but it doesn't need it that often with not being used much.

I have read about doing a clean install, but I have never attempted that before and would need a link to very specific instructions before I would attempt it. I realise I might as well try as buy a new one.

It doesn't have a disk drive and I have never got round to creating a recovery disk which I guess I would need?

At my disposal I have a desktop and laptop running Vista, the netbook on Win 7 and the PB. Would I be able to create a recovery disk using the laptop or desktop seeing as they are different operating systems?

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 7:09 pm 
Well that doesn't sound too promising. Your guess is correct, you can't use other computers to make the recovery disks for the netbook. But it should have come with either recovery disks or the software to make them, you may want to poke around the programs to see if you see anything.

If it was a sudden change in performance, that could be due to a virus. Malwarebytes is pretty good at digging those out.

If it was a change over time, then perhaps you added some programs (or they were added as subsets of other programs) that are making the system sluggish. Check the list of programs in the control panel icon and see what's there.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 7:34 pm 
Practically every programme that is on it is for security or performance, eg CCleaner, Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware. I have Office 2007, Opera, Firefox and IE, Foxit, Adobe Flash and Java.

I would ditch Java due to the vulnerabilities, but I need it to do a jigsaw I do online and it is only allowed to run on that one site.

Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall Flash as that may be the culprit, although it has been slow for a couple of years now.

As I don't have a separate DVD drive, how would I be able to create a recovery disk? I get the option to create one each time I reboot.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 7:50 pm 
Looking at that list, it might be the combo of your antivirus programs. I always hear about conflicts with running multiple ones simultaneously. Not sure what else you have for "performance" but anything that is starting up automatically and monitoring things is going to slow other things down.

For the recovery disk, you would need to buy an external DVD drive. They are pretty cheap nowadays, especially since lots of regular laptops (not just netbooks) lack a drive. There are also ways you could do it using a USB flash drive. If your netbook came with recovery software, it might already have an option to make the recovery drive using a flash drive. You should also check your manual to see if your hard drive has a recovery partition. If it does, you can use that to reset to factory defaults.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 8:22 pm 
I only have the Avast AV running. The rest are run on demand and not running all the time.

Years ago I kept a notebook where I noted any changes I made to my pc, such as updates or new programmes, so that I could pinpoint any problems. Maybe I should start again, although it would be a never ending job with the number of updates these days.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 8:28 pm 
You think they are not doing anything, but are you sure? Lots of programs have stuff that starts up but doesn't register as a currently running program until you look a little deeper. It might just be one single program that has a startup component that is causing it all......

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 8:39 pm 
Thanks. I've had a look and there are a load of Microsoft programmes running. I will try doing a Diagnostic Start up to see if that makes a difference.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 8:52 pm 
Those MS ones should be ok.

Since you already have CCleaner, you can go too Tools then Startup in that program, and see what is listed there. And then also use msconfig (google to see how to do that) and see what's there. Between those two you should pretty much capture everything non-MS that is starting on your system.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 14th, 2013, 11:11 am 
Luci, my first suggestion whenever I hear something like this and the machine is "clean" is to add memory. Max it out.

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: May 14th, 2013, 12:15 pm 
I am a little late to the thread but yes.... NO computer should be running or have installed more than one anti-virus.
Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus so you can have that on with avast.
only suggestion is to remove the anti-virus. Once I deleted mine my netbook (w/ atom processor) was much more responsive.
And if you must have an anti-virus on your computer I suggest Panda Cloud http://www.filehippo.com/download_cloud_antivirus/
it's a very light program which should not slow you down. verses avast is a huge program.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 14th, 2013, 9:27 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions.

I already increased the memory from 1Gb to 2GB which is the maximum it will take.

I tried msconfig earlier and tried both Selective and Diagnostic start up, but the netbook wouldn't work at all even after re-enabling wireless, etc so had to go back to normal start up.

I like the sound of Panda Cloud and was about to install it, but I am not allowed to download anything via the wifi at the Carriage House so that will have to wait until I get home.

I am not keen on disabling my AV, but as I don't go on any dodgy sites, would I be safe to try it? I do realise that safe sites can be targeted and there is no such thing as a 100% safe site.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 14th, 2013, 9:57 pm 
If wifi got disabled when you did msconfig, you did too much. What you need to do is click selective but then focus just on the startup tab, unchecking things that you don't think you need at startup.

Did you check the startup items on CCleaner? That and msconfig overlap, they don't have exactly the same things. In order to keep McAfee from starting up, I had to use CCleaner.

Since you already upgraded the RAM, my best guess is either you have a virus that made it through, or you have a wayward program, addon, etc. hogging things up.

Post Posted: May 14th, 2013, 11:18 pm 
remove avast and see how it runs... then install Panda and filehippo.com is a safe site for programs.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 15th, 2013, 1:30 am 
I did check the Start Up in CCleaner and there are very few programmes actually running. I did disable a couple of things. I definitely don't have a virus and agree that it is a rogue programme. Opera is giving me the most problems, but there isn't an Opera tab in CCleaner. I checked and only had one add-on, Avast Online Security, so I have disabled that.

I disabled Avast for 10 mins, but Opera still seems slow. It doesn't help that the problem seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it drags and other times it is reasonably OK.

I already use FileHippo and Secunia PSI to check for updates.

I wll be trying Panda Cloud when I get home.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 15th, 2013, 3:00 pm 
I have been reading about the best AV and it appears that Avast is regarded as better than Panda. However that won't stop me trying Panda on the netbook when I am able to download it. That said, disabling Avast didn't make any difference.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... ftware.htm

Post Posted: May 15th, 2013, 4:59 pm 
Yeah Panda is not the best. but for a netbook and considering you don't use this netbook every day.... it is sufficient. Viruses are rare compared to spyware and other malware.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: THE El Cortez

Post Posted: May 15th, 2013, 7:18 pm 
Sounds like MS will be releasing "Blue" as Windows 8.1. Why this isn't Service Pack 1 is anyone's guess.

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." - Unknown

1000100 1100101 1110010 1100101 1101011 1000001 1101100 1101100 1111001 1101110

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 16th, 2013, 12:50 pm 
Well luci if it's just the internet and the netbook otherwise performs as before, then it could just be an issue with your wireless card. It could be having problems, or if you changed your router recently it may not like the new router, or if you have new devices around the house, they could be interfering. It took me a few months to figure out that the baby monitor my wife had on her desk was causing her issues, because she would only turn it on intermittently.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 20th, 2013, 11:51 am 
Tiki wrote:
Sounds like MS will be releasing "Blue" as Windows 8.1. Why this isn't Service Pack 1 is anyone's guess.

Rumor says they are bringing back the Start button. Good idea, I have already added it back to my Win8 machines. It just takes too long otherwise to start a program.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 21st, 2013, 8:23 pm 
Now trying out Office 2013. Only Outlook so far, I guess it's ok but it has some stuff missing that I noticed and others are already complaining too, most notably the inability to have more than one month on the right hand side bar in your main email window.

I also noticed today that the reply-to-all button looks waayyy too much like the reply button.......

Jump to: