VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently July 22nd, 2019, 6:03 am
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 27th, 2012, 6:07 pm 
I downloaded the $40 upgrade special to check it out.

Not sure what to think about it, except that I am almost certainly NOT going to be upgrading my primary laptops. The two biggest annoyances are the inability to use your own pic on the start screen (you can still do it on the desktop) and the lack of an aero interface. I really like aero, and the Win8 themes look kinda chincy by comparison.

I though that the start screen would be a problem for me, but it's actually ok.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: October 27th, 2012, 11:15 pm 
I have no plans of getting Win8. I heard nothing good about it. (nothing horrible either)

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 28th, 2012, 10:14 am 
Never be a early adopter of Microsoft products.
Google put up a funny url to get google search and chrome installed on W8:

http://www.getyourgoogleback.com

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: December 10th, 2012, 4:54 pm 
Well I have decided to stay with Win7 for my main laptop. I got a new one on sale with that specific purpose in mind. I just don't like the look of Win8, it feels too cheap.

I think lots of people will end up skipping Win8. It won't be the failure that Vista was, but it doesn't bring appreciable benefits over Win7, and Win7 is a very good OS.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 11th, 2013, 1:22 am 
I was playing around with a cheap Win8 laptop I got, it has a touchscreen but just a Core i3 processor. Even with just that processor, it still boots in......10 seconds. I also swapped in a SSD, but none of my Win7 laptops boot anywhere near that fast. Not even ones with full Core i7 processors, lots of RAM and an SSD.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: THE El Cortez

Post Posted: January 11th, 2013, 10:03 pm 
Windows 8?

I'm certainly not a fan. But than again, I haven't used it on a touchscreen laptop. To me, it seems like a tablet interface and annoys the crap out of me when trying to use it as a PC OS.

What really cheeses me off is that they incorporated that UI into the SERVER product. (Server 2012)

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." - Unknown

1000100 1100101 1110010 1100101 1101011 1000001 1101100 1101100 1111001 1101110

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: January 12th, 2013, 10:57 am 
I was listening to a show on SiriusXM yesterday that was broadcasting from CES and the guy they were talking to from CNet essentially said that Windows 8 makes no sense to own unless you have a touchscreen computer. I considered the $49 upgrade to it when I offered it, but I opted against it because my computer couldn't make use of the full OS.

I think that within a few years, all new computers will feature/require touchscreens as we'll probably see more all in one systems being produced and while the traditional tower+monitor setup will still be around, home PCs will start looking more and more like tablets. Standalone monitors will have touchscreen abilities and we'll see the traditional buttons become integrated with the touchscreen and the only button that may remain is the power button.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 12th, 2013, 3:29 pm 
Tiki, Win8 on a server definitely makes no sense.

Vespa, I don't agree with that CNET guy. Some of these so-called techies come to conclusions based on just a few minutes of playing around with things. I've had Win8 on the Surface and on a couple of tablets for a while now, and I've grown to like the start page and the app collection on it. I actually find some things on Win8 a lot easier with a mouse, though some are easier with a touchscreen. The things I don't like about Win8 remain the same as I reported above, and I still won't change my primary laptops unless they do something about it. But I think a lot of regular folks don't really care about the Aero interface on Win7.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 12th, 2013, 3:53 pm 
vespajet wrote:
I think that within a few years, all new computers will feature/require touchscreens as we'll probably see more all in one systems being produced and while the traditional tower+monitor setup will still be around, home PCs will start looking more and more like tablets. Standalone monitors will have touchscreen abilities and we'll see the traditional buttons become integrated with the touchscreen and the only button that may remain is the power button.

Heh, I made this prediction back in 2003 when I was in the Tablet PC Real User Data Initiative group at Microsoft. I think we'll be right in the end, but I have to admit it's taking longer than I thought it would.

I was envisioning a day when we all had a tablet-ish device that was EVERYTHING. Phone, TV, computer... All in one as a mobile device. When you came home you'd drop it in a dock and for use as a desktop and/or stream from the media center to any TV in your house. The phone function would be via bluetooth device or video. (Skype, Facetime, etc.)

This would be even cooler if all the manufacturers would cooperate on a universal plug.

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." - Unknown

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: January 13th, 2013, 12:57 pm 
Tiki wrote:
This would be even cooler if all the manufacturers would cooperate on a universal plug.

Actually they are all suppose to be mini-USB in the near future. Only thing I am unsure about is Apple.
A few years back most of the manufactures agreed to use all the same connectors. I assume that is still the plan.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 13th, 2013, 1:21 pm 
I wish they were all mini-USB. Most manufacturers use micro USB - wish is what I think you meant - and I hate them. The plugs have those little tabs that eventually wear out.

I buy them by the ten-pack at Monoprice.com.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: January 13th, 2013, 4:26 pm 
Evan614 wrote:
Tiki wrote:

Actually they are all suppose to be mini-USB in the near future. Only thing I am unsure about is Apple.
A few years back most of the manufactures agreed to use all the same connectors. I assume that is still the plan.

Apple is the one that refuses to get with the program and are unlikely to ever do so considering the recent change to yet another proprietary plug for their devices. Both of the BlackBerry phones I have owned as well as my BlackBerry PlayBook use the micro USB standard that everyone else has shifted to. Apple requires you to buy a special adapter that connects a micro USB to their Lightning connector.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 22nd, 2013, 4:01 am 
Why should I use an OS that will make my $2,000 desktop act like a $100 phone?

I plan to go to Linux for my next pc.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 6th, 2013, 7:30 pm 
Windows 8 touchscreen laptop for $399, maybe no tax.......

I bought the step-down from this, w/o bluetooth, for $449 on sale last year. This is a good laptop, it boots very quickly and faster than a mac if you swap out the HD for an SSD. The footprint is a little bit big for an 11.6" screen, and it feels heavier than its sub-3lbs, but $399 for something in this form factor and with a touch screen is a very good deal. Usually sub-$400 means a 15" screen, 5+ lbs, and no touch screen.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SCV1 ... G_0114.JPG

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 25th, 2013, 3:19 pm 
I just realized something for Win8 that seems obvious, but just didn't hit me. With Win8, you can use all your apps on your computer. You can't do that with any other OS right now. OSX has a separate app store, but you cannot use your iPhone apps on your Mac computer. And you can't use Android apps on the Chrome OS. I just started using the magazine service Next Issue, and discovered that Win8 computers are the only available computers. Otherwise you have to use an iPad or Android tablet. You can't read mags from a Mac.

As the Win8 app catalog grows, this may induce me to change my main laptops to Win8. Some apps are just convenient to use, and others simply don't have a computer counterpart. Win8 has a lot of annoying things, but I actually think they may be onto something with this cross-platform compatibility.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 27th, 2013, 8:15 am 
Chrome/Android does this as well.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 27th, 2013, 7:40 pm 
Tiki wrote:
Chrome/Android does this as well.

Only for certain specific Google apps, not for third party apps.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 12:14 pm 
Here is a pretty good deal on a full touch screen Win8 laptop in a small form factor. I bought a slight downgraded version of this last year for $449, and then picked up another one last week from this same setup (Adorama through eBay) for $379. Now it's down another $20. For a full touchscreen 11.6" laptop (not a netbook) this is real nice price. Of course next week it could be another $20 less.......or it could be sold out.

The HD on this is reasonably accessible, so I changed out the first one to a SSD. I'll do that for this one too. It was actually a bit of a pain until I did some Googling and found that after the transfer, I needed to run an MBR fix. Then it was all good.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/349390

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 6:22 pm 
I don't know enough about Win 8 to really have an opinion, but what I have read hasn't been favourable.

I am currently using a Toshiba NB200 10.1" netbook on my travels, but often find it extremely slow and unresponsive even when I have a decent wifi speed. I am guessing that is due to the Atom processor, which I think is a N280.

I would replace it if I could guarantee I was getting something a lot faster and with an equally long battery life. I am not willing to shell out the cash to end up with a similar problem.

I have a Blackberry Playbook, but don't really get on with the touchscreen and like the keyboard of a netbook. I am only using the PB for taking photos.

Any suggestions on how to either improve my existing netbook or what I should replace it with? Is Win 8 the way to go?

ETA - I keep the netbook updated and run CCleaner, SAS and Mbam regularly so there is very little junk on it.

My primary browser is Opera, and Gmail is particularly slow on that, with one letter appearing at at time. I also use Firefox which seems quicker, but I use it for different sites from Opera.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 13th, 2013, 6:29 pm 
Luci, has it always been slow? If not, it's probably just accumulated junk over the years and needs a fresh reinstall. But with that processor, as you suspect, it's never going to be quick to do anything. That will be true of any other device with the atom processor.

Some netbooks now have Celeron processors, which are noticeably faster, not much more expensive, and have reasonable battery life if they haven't skimped on the battery. The Core processors will give you full power but finding something under $350 would be difficult, and your battery will take a hit.

Jump to: