VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently January 18th, 2019, 1:28 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: February 7th, 2014, 6:50 pm 
I bit the bullet and "upgraded" my iPad. It's not as bad as I thought, but it definitely sucks battery life. I think if I uncheck app the location services, that might improve, but I'd have to activate each one when required, then de activate later. Pain. In. The. Arse!

Post Posted: February 7th, 2014, 11:08 pm 
what upgrade ? update the iOS? mine hasn't had battery drain from the newest iOS... it just find my ipad no longer works smoothly. It has quirky issues. The biggest one is... my ipad doesn't always recognize my finger doing anything.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 8th, 2014, 5:47 am 
Yes Evan. I updated the iOS.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 8th, 2014, 2:43 pm 
Not a techie thing, but another annoyance I have with Apple is their manufacture in China. Initially it made sense, just due to cost, but as their profits went into the stratosphere it's no longer a justification. They had $100+ BILLION in cash stockpiles. Plain cash. That's more than enough to invest in making their products here. Instead, they are doing stupid stock buy-backs to pump up their stock price.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: March 8th, 2014, 3:15 pm 
rog wrote:
Not a techie thing, but another annoyance I have with Apple is their manufacture in China. Initially it made sense, just due to cost, but as their profits went into the stratosphere it's no longer a justification. They had $100+ BILLION in cash stockpiles. Plain cash. That's more than enough to invest in making their products here. Instead, they are doing stupid stock buy-backs to pump up their stock price.

Even if a company doesn't manufacture their devices in China, many (if not most) of the parts were made in China. All three BlackBerry phones I've owned were built in Mexico (My PlayBook tablet was manufactured in Taiwan), but pretty much all of the OEM accessories are made in China (The battery for my Z10 was made in South Korea, but was further processed in China. The batteries on my older BlackBerry phones were made in Japan with additional processing done in Mexico.). Some older devices were built in Canada or Hungary. But even BlackBerry is shifting some production to China, as late last year signed a deal with FoxConn to build lower-end devices for them (The first of those devices, the Z3, a 3G touchscreen phone, was unveiled in late February and will be sold in "emerging markets".).

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 8th, 2014, 5:46 pm 
So what Vespa?

With $100B in cash, Apple can do a lot more here in our country, than Apple has done.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 8th, 2014, 7:49 pm 
rog wrote:
So what Vespa?

With $100B in cash, Apple can do a lot more here in our country, than Apple has done.

Let me put it this way, you can't stuff the genie back into the lamp. Companies will continue to depend on China's manufacturing sector until someone else comes along that can do it cheaper. Apple and other US high-tech companies have little incentive to bring production back to the US (or even to Canada or Mexico) and the US is not going to start a trade war with China over it either.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 8th, 2014, 7:59 pm 
I disagree Vespa, it's a matter of degree, hardly absolute. Just because they can't do it all, or all at once, doesn't mean they can't start. Especially with $100B+ in cash. MotoX is a good example--they have to outsource most of the parts still, but it's assembled here in the US.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 8th, 2014, 8:27 pm 
rog wrote:
I disagree Vespa, it's a matter of degree, hardly absolute. Just because they can't do it all, or all at once, doesn't mean they can't start. Especially with $100B+ in cash. MotoX is a good example--they have to outsource most of the parts still, but it's assembled here in the US.

Apple is more likely to use that $100B on acquisitions and not relocating production to the US.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 9th, 2014, 2:54 am 
That was the initial justification....years ago. Now they are just doing stock buybacks......

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 16th, 2014, 6:33 pm 
Here is someone else commenting on Apple:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... mil-wired/

Quote:
You claim Apple could assemble the iPhone in the US and still make a huge profit.

It’s no secret! Apple has tremendous profit margins. They could easily do everything at home. The iPhone isn’t manufactured in China—it’s assembled in China from parts made in the US, Germany, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, and so on. The cost there isn’t labor. But laborers must be sufficiently dedicated and skilled to sit on their ass for eight hours and solder little pieces together so they fit perfectly.

But Apple is supposed to be a giant innovator.

Apple! Boy, what a story. No taxes paid, everything made abroad—yet everyone worships them. This new iPhone, there’s nothing new in it. Just a golden color. What the hell, right? When people start playing with color, you know they’re played out.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 2nd, 2014, 1:31 pm 
Just noticed over the weekend that in iOS 7, music videos no longer play full screen.....it's not a bug, it's a purposeful "loss of functionality." Other video programs play them full screen, but they won't go to the next video in the playlist. I suspect you could do a work-around by changing the classification to a movie or home movie.....

Who makes these decisions!??!?!

Jump to: