VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently January 18th, 2019, 3:00 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 23rd, 2013, 3:00 am 
Ok the iTunes store brings back nothing for airr patriots.....................

DUH?!??!?!?!!?!??!?!

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 7th, 2013, 2:12 am 
I've never had any issue uninstalling a Mac program. I just grab it and throw it in the trash. All the Adobe design programs now have uninstall built in.

I guess what I wonder is, when people talk about Apple fan boys and such, how do you explain the meteoric rise of Apple products? Is it some mass psychosis? I went with my brother before Christmas to find a laptop for my SIL, I wasn't even pointing him toward Apple. After a while I realized she didn't need a laptop, she needed a tablet, and for the price, she would want an Ipad. She has thanked me a dozen times for pointing him in that direction.

I have always had issues with PCs. Installing systems, installing software, dealing with viruses. I guess it all comes down to what you use your computer and devices to function as. I'm looking at a tower for my next Apple. If I pay $500 more for a comparative speed and memory PC, so be it. Computers are more than the sum of their parts when it comes to usability. Maybe things have changed, and I will take a look at how the Adobe design programs look now on Windows, but, I doubt they will have improved enough for me to switch.

I won't be getting any Apple Cinema displays though. I'm almost ready to take the plunge on a Dell U2410 S-IPS....but I have to consider the whole, how do I move this later this year BS...

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: March 7th, 2013, 8:50 am 
I have heard of people custom building computers and installing an Apple OS. This approach would make an Apple very cheap to own. I was very tempted by this but, it seems the Apple OS, people are installing, is a hacked version that is downloaded from pirate sites. Not sure if I can just buy the OS to install.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 7th, 2013, 1:54 pm 
Zombie wrote:
I've never had any issue uninstalling a Mac program. I just grab it and throw it in the trash.

So I guess you just don't care about all the ancillary folders/files that hang around? When I googled it, I recall other people complaining about it too, and offering methods to manually hunt down everything down.

Zombie wrote:
how do you explain the meteoric rise of Apple products? Is it some mass psychosis?

Well, yes of course that is a big part of it. I don't think there is any real dispute about the fact that the perception of "cool" is a very, very significant factor driving Apple sales. The Wall Street analysts talk about it. Even Apple itself uses this, like in their Apple guy/PC guy commercials. It's like Sony was when I was a kid. Everyone wanted a Walkman.

Zombie wrote:
I have always had issues with PCs. Installing systems, installing software, dealing with viruses.

Me too. But the source of that problem is not an inherent issue with PCs, it's the fact that there are so many more software options. For the programs that are available on both Macs and PCs, I rarely have problems with either.

Zombie wrote:
I guess it all comes down to what you use your computer and devices to function as.

Yeah, that's my whole point for this thread. Ask most Mac people why they paid more for a Mac, and they first thing they would say is "what?" Then, they will list some combination of Apple propaganda (it just works, etc) and subjective descriptions (clean lines, etc.). You never get specific technical responses: "I can do X on OSX but I can't do that on Win7." In fact, lots of folks are still comparing OSX to XP instead of Win7.

I have very specific reasons for using my tech products. Sometimes, Apple is better, sometimes MS is better. If there was a clear winner between the two, I would have almost all of that product. But instead, my tech stuff is kind of split, though more non-Apple than Apple.

Zombie wrote:
I won't be getting any Apple Cinema displays though. I'm almost ready to take the plunge on a Dell U2410 S-IPS....but I have to consider the whole, how do I move this later this year BS...

I have a 27" Dell display for my home laptop, not sure if it's this one, but it's great. I actually liked the look of the Apple one better, but it would have been such a pain to put on a monitor arm that I just got the Dell. Apple lost a sale from me because they didn't have simple VESA connections to their monitor.

Oh, and don't forget that Steve Jobs is scared of boobs.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 7th, 2013, 2:04 pm 
I have used Apples for the last 20 years, but I wouldn't hesitate the buy something PC if it made sense. People who have some unmovable affiliation to a specific product brand aren't doing themselves any favors. I bought a Toshiba laptop years ago so that I could preflight files.....and to play online poker! It served me fine until a virus ultimately destroyed it because the cd drive had died and I couldn't figure a way to get a new system installed (none of the obvious ways, external drives etc, worked)

The one thing I can recommend to people now about monitors, is that whatever brand you buy, whatever size, get an IPS not a TFT. IPS has much better color fidelity and viewing angle, regardless of which version of IPS you get.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: March 22nd, 2013, 7:39 pm 
Looks like Apple saw fit to remove the option in Mountain Lion to choose your account picture from your pictures, directly from the preferences pane. Now you have to find the pic and drag it to the pref pane.

:banghead:

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 21st, 2013, 1:47 am 
Apple's stock is tanking, i.e. falling to some sort of sane valuation.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: April 21st, 2013, 7:29 am 
Zombie wrote:
Apple's stock is tanking, i.e. falling to some sort of sane valuation.

They're coasting and coasting can be dangerous, just ask BlackBerry. While the latest version of the iPhone has sold in expected numbers, there wasn't a major leap between the last iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5. It underwhelmed the investors and there is definitely fear that future Apple products will lack that wow factor now that Steve Jobs' imprint on these products gets less and less. History may repeat itself, as Apple's first decline was in the years after Steve Jobs left the company and their rebirth occurred when he was brought back into the fold via Apple's acquisition of NeXT (Whose NeXTSTEP OS [originally designed for a line of workstation computers the company sold] became the basis of the modern Mac OS.). This time, Steve Jobs won't be coming back and the company may see some hard times down the road if their products continue to underwhelm consumers and investors and competitors continue to develop products that are as good or better than Apple's.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: May 31st, 2013, 1:07 am 
iPhone needed a reboot. Just like windows. ;-(

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 4th, 2013, 1:59 pm 
I also had some iTunes issues, it completely locked up and when I restarted, it said that something was corrupted. I think it had something to do with the OS updates because it was able to repair it after.

Today I had to reboot my main MBA.....again. The thought that macs can just run forever without a reboot is quite the myth. I pretty much have to reboot at least once a week.

On an iPhone note, I will be interested to see the new OS. I have to say, the rumors do not sound good......

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Treasure Island - Golden Nugget

Post Posted: June 4th, 2013, 11:23 pm 
Rog, Have you tried a Blackberry 10 device. I really like my Q10 and the os is pretty slick

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: June 10th, 2013, 4:24 pm 
The new iOS: hello flat and sickly pastel. It's like having Easter in your pocket everywhere you go.

Win8 is flat and people didn't like that aspect of it (including me). But I've already seen the mac fanboys embrace the flat of the new iOS.

At this point the only thing keeping me from switching to Android is iTunes Match.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: August 29th, 2013, 11:13 pm 
So the latest comes from my wife. She used a combo of iPhoto and iMovie to make a custom slideshow. iPhoto was ok, but oddly enough it did not play well with iMovie, which changed stuff a bit instead of being able to use the exact frames from the iPhoto slideshow. I messed with it for her, and found one issue was making sure to use 16x9 for iPhoto. But there were still noticeable changes.

Then in iMovie, she had a hell of a time figuring it out. All she wanted to do was put in her own custom set of songs and a credits sequence. It was a pain and she had to repeatedly ask for my help. It took me a bit of tinkering but since I have used other programs before, I knew what I was looking for. But I still had to google a few things.

My wife is not a computer nerd like me, but to say she is smart is quite the understatement, if you get all A's at MIT that's.......not common. So my conclusion is that the vast majority, 99% or more, of Mac users simply do not use iMovie to create custom videos using video clips and music clips. And yet that seems like something that should be straightforward and extra-easy to do on a Mac if you believe all the fanboys......

Post Posted: August 30th, 2013, 7:28 pm 
I am not a mac man... with that said iPhoto slide show may not care about picture resolution. It will fit-to-scale on the screen. With iMovie when you put it in you will need to resize it to video settings-- in this case probably 1920x1080.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 18th, 2013, 3:42 pm 
From a former fanboy. I'm sure he's going to remain all-Apple but we'll see if he ever tells anyone complaining about Windows to "just get a Mac."

http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/656975138 ... -customers

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: December 8th, 2013, 6:36 pm 
So, with iOS7 on my Mini, I am limited to only 9 items per folder unless I create an additional window for the folder. The additional window is not created automatically, you have to do it manually. And the 9 items only use up about half or less of the available real estate. Just plain dumb. Thanks for the annoyances, Sir Ives.......

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 11th, 2014, 5:54 pm 
Well, does ANYONE actually like any part of the new iOS? I can't think of anything that I prefer over the prior version. I don't like the color scheme, I don't like the trendy "flat" look (which MS did first on Win8), and there too much swiping required (and a lot of it is not intuitive).

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 11th, 2014, 9:50 pm 
I haven't done the upgrade on my devices. Reading about it, there is nothing much to gain and a lot of memory to lose.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 12th, 2014, 12:18 am 
It also sucks down battery life.....

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 7th, 2014, 3:43 pm 
Got an "invalid sibling link" error on one of my mac minis that I could not resolve after trying a few things that worked for others. So I had to reformat. I used it mainly as a music server and to process movie files, so I didn't lose anything. Just annoying to have to spend the time to try to fix it and reformat.

Jump to: