VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently January 15th, 2019, 11:31 pm
Board index » Non Vegas Section » Techie Room

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 9th, 2012, 12:51 pm 
I am using my Macbook Air now for work, I just couldn't resist the portability. But I am finding annoyances with the operating system. Any help or do most Mac folks just not do these things?

Uninstalling programs--as I complained on another thread, there appears to be no automatic way to do this. Really annoying.

Sleep when lid down--when I shut the lid of the laptop, it automatically moves the desktop to my attached monitor, instead of just going to sleep.

Printing options--what the hell happened to all my printing options? I am having trouble even doing something very simple like printing 4 pages of the document per printed page.

Red button doesn't close programs--why have Mac folks accepted this annoyance? I would like to close a program with one click.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 10th, 2012, 1:35 pm 
Transferring an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to a new computer is a total PITA. This is primarily due to the tether to iTunes and the restriction to syncing to one computer at a time.

Time Machine will not backup to a mounted, encrypted container made using TrueCrypt (the OSX version).

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: October 10th, 2012, 1:46 pm 
makes me glad I am a PC man.... but Windows has started messing with files and depending on how you transfer them... they can be locked and unusable on a different computer.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 10th, 2012, 8:33 pm 
Movie playlists are now gone from iOS6. $%^&* you, Apple.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 11th, 2012, 9:34 am 
I use Phone to PC which works well. They also have a Mac version.

http://www.macroplant.com/phonetomac/

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 22nd, 2012, 2:15 pm 
Thanks for that Tex. Looks like it generally helps with the annoying iTunes restrictions.

On another note, over the weekend I got my laptop out of sleep, and the desktop pic went blank. I just had a white screen. I tried a few things but eventually just gave up and restarted. That worked. I thought restart was just a Windows thing, but I guess it's a Mac thing too......

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: October 25th, 2012, 12:44 pm 
I still can't believe Apple disabled the ability to pair a bluetooth mouse with the iPad. That forces you to always have it very close, or have to reach over. It makes it very impractical to mount it to any sort of lever arm. I would use my iPad a lot more if I could use a BT mouse.

One of these days I am just going to jailbreak it.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: November 8th, 2012, 4:47 pm 
I had my first visit to the Genius Bar today. I have a few sticky keys due to some drink sprinkling that occurred, I believe, while I was having drinks at the Kahunaville patio overlooking the pool and he nice CW butts.

Anyway, I wanted them to just lift them and clean, but he says that usually persistent stickiness requires a full keyboard replacement....for about $200. And they would want my laptop for 3-5 days.....

Well I told him to put me in the queue for an overnight replacement. But I asked him to go ahead and lift up and clean the two worst offenders. He did that and replaced them for free. If that's enough for me, I may skip the replacement entirely. $200 seems a bit much for a $1600 computer, I would rather apply that towards next year's model, which might have a retina display. At least I got out of there for free......

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: December 10th, 2012, 5:00 pm 
I had my Mac Mini blank-out the other day. Nothing on the screen, but it was still running. I had to do a hard reboot.

I got tired of dealing with iTunes for my wife's 3G iPod Touch. When she mentioned that it was a bit sluggish, I just switched her over to an Android-based Samsung Galaxy Player. Since she uses it exclusively for Netflix streaming or uploading of new movies, there is no playlist issue. It's a whole lot easier for me to just plug it in and download the movies to it, instead of having to go through the iTunes hassle.

A few weeks ago I had an iTunes Match issue where a computer I had not used in a while caused a doubling up of playlists. You would think Apple would have that figured out.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 8th, 2013, 9:31 pm 
Can't assign different ringtones to different people on an iPhone.......kinda silly since would be an easy thing for them to bake into the OS.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 8th, 2013, 10:12 pm 
My basic Samsung mini can assign personal ringtones. I'm surprised that the iPhone can't/won't do it.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 20th, 2013, 2:15 am 
So with all the latest updates, iTunes is blocking usb pass through. If I use a usb adapter, I get the $%^&* beachball.

You $%^&* pieces of $%^&*.

This is why I now have switched my wife from an ipod touch to a samsung player. She didn't care, all she cares about is netflix and having her movies on there, which I can load a whole lot easier without having to go through itunes. $%^&* you, apple.

Post Posted: January 20th, 2013, 10:00 am 
That is why I am a PC guy. No monopoly. This iPad is my first apple product. I am not seeing the greatness of apple over competing products. Samsung has really stepped up to the plate and has competed with apple.
I will look at surface after MS has fixed there issues.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: January 20th, 2013, 7:47 pm 
So I decided to reinstall Lion on an MBA today, since OSX does not have any way to easily uninstall programs and I wanted to get rid of some stuff. With Lion, they now require an internet connection for reinstallation--you have to download the whole OS. It's taking forever, and I have a fast connection. I did some searching and lots of people complain that the download servers are slow. You would think Apple would make them fast, because most people reinstalling are hosed and will want to be back up running soon.

So while Apple for the longest time had no product key for its OS, making it a lot more convenient that Windows, now it has leapfrogged Windows in the hassle factor and has made it a complete and total pain in the ass to reinstall. Now it's easier to reinstall windows.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 15th, 2013, 8:29 pm 
So I decided to use Time Machine to make an early backup of a new laptop, that I could just archive and keep in a drawer. Turns out the flash drive did not have enough space. But then disk utility would not let me wipe it?!!?! Did some searching and others had the same problem. You would think Apple would know this was a possibility and make it easier to deal with. People suggested going into terminal to get it done. I ended up just popping into a Win7 laptop and it let me nuke it.

So I abandoned that plan and decided to just use a regular large capacity drive. I choose the encryption option, and everything seems to be going well. Then I get the out-of-space problem again, many hours later?!?!?! WTF?!?! There is plenty of space. As best I can tell, Time Machine was backing up at the same time it was encrypting, but it was doing it separately on the same drive, so there was inevitably going to be a conflict. I did some searching and didn't find anything, but I did find people complaining about encrypting taking too long. Well, my backup started just a few minutes after encryption, so clearly the backup was not going into the encrypted part. I did a few more clicks, and sure enough the encryption was still going. So I had to start over.

So I stopped the backup, erased the existing backup, and then deselected. Now it says it's encrypting, and I guess I should wait until that is done before trying again........

:banghead:

Post Posted: February 16th, 2013, 9:34 am 
come to the dark side (Windows)... you know it's calling you.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 17th, 2013, 4:42 pm 
I already am Evan, my primary home laptop is a Win7 machine. I have complaints about Win7 too. But Microsoft doesn't have the annoying fanboys who think that just because it works for them, it somehow magically works for everyone. That's what annoys me about the Apple disciples. The reality is that Apple products have just as many annoyances as Win7, for people like me who really use the operating systems.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 18th, 2013, 12:04 pm 
I have to agree with Rog. What I find really funny is, my BIL (who has several apple products but it's a fanboy) bought himself an Asus the other day. He said he was tired of paying premium prices for something when he could get a nice, reliable machine for a fraction of the cost. He really likes it. At what point do you say, "I don't need to spend over a thousand dollars on something that I can get for much less."

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Paradise, Nevada
(look it up)

Post Posted: February 18th, 2013, 10:53 pm 
LOL
Reminds me of this from a couple of years ago...

also,
if Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 19th, 2013, 3:33 pm 
Wow, Mychal! Big price difference. Also, that is pretty funny, the windows joke

Jump to: