VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently November 17th, 2017, 10:37 pm
Board index » Jonesing For Vegas » Other things to do in Vegas besides gamble

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: April 29th, 2014, 11:48 pm 
Boneyard review
Well after many raves by people about the neon sign boneyard I decided to visit. Friends of mine bought the tickets, so that was a plus.
A few notes to point out.
1) Before you even step into the boneyard you get a very extensive education on the museum rules. And those rules are posted very clearly. Sound like a red flag. Yup, you would be right. It was a major red flag.
2) Their signage says and their website says “No backpacks, camera bags, large bags, monopods or tripods are allowed on tours.” What they really are saying is ZERO bags allowed, no matter how small they are. Someone had a pocket size camera with a super small bag for it perhaps the size of my wallet. And they didn’t allow them to bring it in. So if you don’t mind NOT being allowed a bag of any sort, continue on.

3) When they say “visitors must remain with their guide and group” they are really saying they are looking for any excuse to kick you out. See the problem is the tour guide or other guests are constantly in your shot and since you have to stay with the group any attempt to straggle behind or walk ahead will get you get kicked out. Our guide thought someone was not with the group and verbally said (paraphrasing) “excuse me it looks like someone has left the group and I need to kick them out for not staying with the group” funny part was no one was there.

4) They say no video allowed. they say we(visitors) are lucky we are allowed to take pictures. Their reasoning is art museums do not permit photography or videotaping. Hey boneyard you’re not a fine art gallery. Plus one other thing, I was at two other museums this week and neither restricted photography or videotaping. It is pretty clear the policy created by the boneyard is out of fear and not logic.

Some other notes. If your goal is to take pictures. You will want to have a wide angle lens since the signs are close to the walking path with a very narrow walking path.
Now the plus(es). The guide will discuss the history of Vegas. End of pluses.
I see this as a “visit once and you can now scratch it off your list of things to do”. I found the Mob museum to be much more friendlier toward visitors. And they don’t make you feel like a hostile, behind enemy lines, unlike the boneyard. By the way their security guard (I met) acts like Barney Fife. (power-trip with probably a minimum wage paycheck)
The following images are embedded visual links of my personal pictures, stored on my personal photobucket account. For my personal use, they are being included as part of my personal (biased) review of the neon museum.
These are the signs you will expect to see there.
Footnote: I am the owner all the following images. I retain the copyrights of the images and the neon museum lack any rights to my images. Use of them are strictly prohibited beyond personally using the images for your personal use. ie non-commercial.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: May 1st, 2014, 4:50 am 
They didn't have all those rules when we went. It must be since they opened the visitor centre.

Jump to: