VegasJonesing.com

Jonesing for Vegas Forum
It is currently November 14th, 2019, 11:22 pm
Board index » Jonesing For Vegas » Vegas News

Forum rules

Post articles you wish to discuss, voice criticism, add commentary or educate us on. Please make sure your posting has a link to the article, for full credit purposes. I think it is alright to quote a line or two, if you wish. Righthaven has solidified the fair use aspect. See docs/DMCArules.htm for more guidelines.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Vdara

Post Posted: June 30th, 2012, 7:51 am 
Evan614 wrote:
Why can't they have a flat, preset rate, from the airport to each specific property. So if they want to long haul.. it will only cost the driver not the passenger.

It's been proposed in recent years, but of course the taxi companies lobbied against it. The taxi companies are part of the problem and are why the Taxicab Authority is being forced to start doing these checkpoints. Some cabbies have been complaining about there being more cabs allowed, but some of that is due to the bad behavior of a segment of their industry. Some of the Monorail issues have been the result of the taxi companies, as they have been against any extension of the Monorail to Downtown or McCarran, as that would take customers from them.

I really do hope that the T.A. starts fining companies and even starts to pull their medallions, as the days of the taxi companies bullying customers and the T.A. are numbered.

Standard Member

Post Posted: June 30th, 2012, 11:20 am 
What you need is for the politicians to grow a pair.

The taxi companies could play this a bit smarter. I don't really think the monorail would damage their business. Extending it to the airport is not going to fix the problem that you have to haul your baggage for miles between whatever station you get off at and the checkin desk.

Post Posted: September 11th, 2012, 8:06 pm 
Long-Hauling Citations Up This Summer
Good video

We're about John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere . . . way out here."
.....................................- - Josh Thompson

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Cosmopolitan

Post Posted: September 16th, 2012, 10:50 am 
Silver Bow wrote:

I chatted about long hauling with a cabby in May. He said Desert Cab was the worst for telling it's drivers to take the tunnel.

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: September 16th, 2012, 11:30 am 
B7s wrote:
Silver Bow wrote:

I chatted about long hauling with a cabby in May. He said Desert Cab was the worst for telling it's drivers to take the tunnel.

If that is the case, then the Taxicab Authority needs to put a boot across the throat of the owners and threaten to shut them down or have them barred from pickups or drop offs at McCarran. What's interesting it that the Visit Las Vegas website lists 13 taxi companies in Las Vegas (They list 14, but one of the ones they list is a designated driver service that will drive your vehicle for you.) and one company controls 5 of those 13. The remaining 8 are controlled by 5 different companies. Many of these companies also have limo and/or shuttle bus services in addition to their taxi companies. Desert Cab doesn't seem to have their fingers in those pies, which could explain why they resort to longhaul tactics.

Post Posted: January 4th, 2013, 10:10 am 
New technology could put an end to taxicab long-hauling

Post Posted: January 14th, 2013, 4:20 pm 
Officials OK test of computer system to detect taxi long-hauling

Post Posted: February 25th, 2013, 11:11 am 
Critics accuse taxicab officials of soft touch on long-haulers

Post Posted: February 25th, 2013, 4:38 pm 
Las Vegas cab company opposes pilot program to stop long-hauling

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: February 25th, 2013, 4:50 pm 
Silver Bow wrote:

Of course they're going to try to stop it because it was developed by a rival cab company. I think that within the next decade, you'll start seeing driverless taxis in Las Vegas. The taxi companies will like it because they won't have to hire drivers and they can keep the cabs on the road even longer since there wouldn't be an shift changes.

Post Posted: March 27th, 2013, 2:12 pm 
How to curb taxi long-hauling? A flat rate to Strip might do trick

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 22nd, 2013, 3:30 pm 

Audit: Taxis overcharged $15M on trips to airport

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 24th, 2013, 12:39 pm 
I've had more than Tom's quoted 67% of bad experiences with cabs.
Once, I was long hauled from airport to the Orleans. I was on my phone checking email or something and not really paying attn until I realized it seemed to be taking way to long to get there, when I looked up I had no clue where I was. I asked the guy where we were and he said 'back way'. I mumbled 'you mean 'long way'. Just as I was getting a little concerned I spotted the Palms in the distance so I knew we were close. Final fare, $29 .. no tip.

Twice that I remember saying 'no tunnel please' the driver got an attitude and I've had the same conversation with several drivers as Luci describes above (BS about busy traffic).

I've been rudely propositioned, asked if I was f'n drunk, and dropped off in odd places (like Alora's driveway drop off).

My theory is, there are just a lot of miserable cab drivers that don't make much money and don't know how to be polite.

So.. yeah, it's about time.

I just realized.. how am I going get to Quad from the Airport in a Friday of a busy weekend at 5pm, it will take FOREVER. Oh well, it will give me time to make calls, check emails and .. uh oh.. right..better not do that.

Profile YIM  

Jonesing Member

Post Posted: April 24th, 2013, 1:41 pm 
Tess wrote:

I just realized.. how am I going get to Quad from the Airport in a Friday of a busy weekend at 5pm, it will take FOREVER. Oh well, it will give me time to make calls, check emails and .. uh oh.. right..better not do that.

Not really I think cabs are in more of a hurry to get to the airport so them can long haul someone from there! :rolling:

Last year Harrahs had a shuttle that went right from there to airport, it cost $7 and the only reason I knew about it was that I had to check out at the desk instead of the TV and the clerk told me about it. You might want to ask about it at check in.

Jonesing Member

Favorite Property: Rio

Post Posted: April 24th, 2013, 1:55 pm 
I hate taking a cab from the airport. We have had 100% unpleasant or argumentative experiences.

The trip on 21st March was probably the worst. I asked for surface streets, was told that was a bad way to get to Orleans, told her I wanted Swenson/Trop only, was told that was the wrong way. When she went for the tunnel, I took a picture of her licence thing at the front of the cab and told her to go ahead. This resulted in screaming and ranting and a return to the cab stand to get another cab. The second cab took us the correct route and the fare was $20.40.

Post Posted: April 24th, 2013, 4:32 pm 
Cab company rips the results of long-hauling report

Post Posted: April 24th, 2013, 4:32 pm 
Why the Las Vegas cab industry has gotten away with long-hauling

Post Posted: May 6th, 2013, 9:10 am 
With long-hauling still a problem, flat-rate zones deserve a chance